WebService XML-RPC session access?

Is there a way to provide access to the session from an XML-RPC server?

I am currently writing an XML-RPC server in Rails, and am using layered dispatching. Unfortunately, everything works great except session is always null in the ActionWebService controllers.

Is it possible to get session working with layered dispatch in ActionWebService?

Thanks, Nate

In case anyone else spends a WEEK trying to get XML-RPC sessions working like I did.

I combined another post in this Google group about HTTP authentication with my approach. This uses 401 Basic authentication, and returns a session_id which can be passed as a Cookie in subsequent requests. Not completely XMLRPC stds-compliant, but works for Rails/Perl/Java.

The missing link was I have to call new(session) in my layered dispatcher:

class RpcController < ApplicationController      wsdl_service_name 'RPC'      web_service_dispatching_mode :layered

# Must use the {BLOCK} mode of layered dispatch, and explicitly      # pass the session ID into the new() method      web_service(:auth) { AuthService.new(session) }    end

Then, in apis/auth_service.rb:

class AuthService < XmlRpcService      web_service_api AuthAPI      # methods here...    end

And finally, my base XMLRPC ActionWebService class, apis/xml_rpc_service.rb:

class XmlRpcService < ApplicationController     def initialize(session)        logger.debug "new=#{session}"        @session = session     end   end

I setup all my layered WebService classes to inherit from this.

Just had to find the right combination of black magic...

-Nate