WEBrick bugs ?

Greetings!

Recently I've been stuck on a problem serving XML via SSL with WEBrick.

First problem: whatever document I've been returning as a body, client never got more than 16k. With "keep_alive = true" client just hangs, with "keep_alive = false" it ended up getting only 16383 bytes of data. This seems to be OpenSSL limitation which is pretty difficult to find out though. Anyway, it's being resolved by lowering buffer sizes and forcing WEBrick to chop the page with "chunked = true". Maybe there's a point in forcing these buffer sizes when using SSL?

WEBrick::Config::HTTP[:InputBufferSize] = WEBrick::Config::HTTP [:OutputBufferSize] = 1024 ... def do_GET (req, res)   ...   res.chunked = true   ... end

This seemed to solve the first problem. And this was the point where I've encountered the second one, that looks like a bug to me.

I have WEBrick coming with Rails, so maybe this is specific Rails bug.

So... I've started to get garbled XML documents. The reason turned out to be a chunked encoding implementation in "send_body_string".

remain = body ? @body.bytesize : 0         while buf = @body[@sent_size, @buffer_size]           break if buf.empty?           data = ""           data << format("%x", buf.bytesize) << CRLF           data << buf << CRLF           _write_data(socket, data)           @sent_size += buf.bytesize         end

@sent_size is getting incremented by the amount of BYTES sent, and then it's being used as an index in a Unicode @body, which is incorrect. I've changed the code in a following way to make it work:

remain = body ? @body.bytesize : 0         buffer_sliding_pointer = 0         while buf = @body[buffer_sliding_pointer, @buffer_size]           break if @body.size <= buffer_sliding_pointer           data = ""           data << format("%x", buf.bytesize) << CRLF           data << buf << CRLF           _write_data(socket, data)           @sent_size += buf.bytesize           buffer_sliding_pointer += buf.size         end

(Leaving "break if buf.empty?" made the fscker send 4 additional bytes even though the buffer_sliding_pointer pointed to the end of the @body, so I had to change it also)

I hope I've been of any help!

Thank you.

Sincerely, Ivan.