Users have roles now but how can they edit there own posts.

I’d try something like Post has_many [or has_one] :users then check user is in the array of users [or is the one user].

RSL

As you would have to do that check for more than one action, namely the edit action (which displays the edit form), the update action that updates the record, and the delete action that deletes it (if users are allowed for that), i would suggest using a before_filter that gets the post in Question, and checks if the user who wrote it is the user who requested the action:

class Posts < ActionController

before_filter :check_priviliges, :only => [:edit,:update,:delete]

....your actions....

private def check_priviliges   @post = Post.find_by_id(params[:id],:include => :user)   if @post.user.id = session[:user][:id]     true   else     redirect_to ....your error_page....   end end

end

of course the Post Model needs to have a relationship to User:

class User < ActiveRecord   has_many :posts end class User < ActiveRecord   belongs_to :user end

You can also additionally check in the before_filter, weither the user is an Admin, if Admins can edit all Posts, for example. As i don't know Rails Recipes Book the above code is only a pointer as your book's example probably handles users/sessions a bit differently.

Greets.

I didn’t say I was giving you everything you need to solve the problem. Just a headstart. :wink:

RSL