Upload file without using file_field

Hi,

I wanted to have a textbox which would have the file name specified and on submit in the controller I wanted to save this file on the server file system. Any pointers would helpful.

Please note I do not want to use file_field since that does not match my requirement...

My requirement is something like

<input> upload c:\1.txt upload c:\2.txt </input>

Button Submit

On submit upload the 2 files to server

Thanks, Sudhindra

Sudhi

Perhaps you can use hidden file_field and populate it with javascript from the text_field?

James.

or you could parse the string inside that text_box and loop through the several entries.

MaD wrote:

or you could parse the string inside that text_box and loop through the several entries.

Hi,

Thanks for the inputs, but I am a newbie to ROR. I want to understand what exactly happens in the background when I use a file_field? Is it complex to have a file upload working without a file_field(Hidden atleast)?

Regards, Sudhindra

So the user is typing in filenames directly? If that's the case, what you're asking is impossible - and for very good reasons. Javascript can't access client-side files; it can't even serialize file input tags (thus the issues with AJAX submission of file fields).

--Matt Jones