undefined method `generated_methods'

i m getting this error........

undefined method `generated_methods' for "chop":String

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:188:in `method_missing'

app/controllers/chops_controller.rb:60:in `show'

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

app/controllers/chops_controller.rb:60:in `show'

---------------------------------------------------------------- here is the function show def show   : end

Which is line 60 (where the error is)?

What are the params passed into the action when it fails (shown in your log file)? What happens when you run this line (below) from the application console?

line 60 is -------> @chop.views = @chop.views.next

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

line 60 is -------> @chop.views = @chop.views.next

What params were passed in when you get the error? In particular, params[:id]?

In the application console, run this replacing "params[:id]" with the appropriate value from above:

@chop = Chop.find(params[:id], :include => [:song])

What does it display? What is the value of @chop.views? What is the value of @chop.views.next?

Is "views" an association in the Chop model? If so, what is the related model? If not what is the database type? Are there any relevant setters/getters for the Chop model.

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

In params[:id] = 567 is passed. 567 is the id of music in table.

I am new to ROR so i dont know how to run application console. so please guide me.

Ah. Then you are in for a pleasant surprise. :slight_smile:

The application console is one of the most amazingly useful parts of Rails. To access it, you need a command window (a terminal on UNIX/MacOS or a DOS window on Windows). If you are using Instant Rails on Windows, then select "Open Ruby Console Window" from the "Rails Applications" menu option.

Change directory so you are in the top level of your application. Then run the command:

ruby script/console

If you are running an older dumb(er) version of Windows it may want you to use backslash instead of forward slash there (script\console).

This will load your development application and allow you to interact with it. It is like running "irb" (the interactive Ruby environment) with your Rails application already loaded.

You can then run any command which accesses your models. For example, you can run:

@chop = Chop.find(567, :include => [:song])

and it will extract this item from the database. After each command is run, the value of the command is displayed. If you just enter a variable name, it will display its value, etc.

There's a lot more you can do, too, as you have access to the routing engine to see how URLs are mapped, etc and much more, but to start with it is very useful to play with your models and see how they are working. Any database access will be logged in your log file.

Use "quit" (or Ctrl-D) to exit.

Your error message indicates that at some point you have the String "chop" which Rails is trying to generate methods for. If you enter the following at the console:

@chop.views @chop.views.next

you will see what Rails is trying to do when executing the line:

@chop.views = @chop.views.next

It should give you some good clues to the actual problem.

Thx Bush for u r tips........ its were really amazing and new for me.

many many many thx 1st of all.

Now when i run ---@chop = Chop.find(567, :include => [:song]) i got all the data from the database realted with it.

and when i run........@chop.views = @chop.views.next NoMethodError: undefined method 'columns_hash' for "chop"

this type of error i m getting.........

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

and when i run........@chop.views = @chop.views.next NoMethodError: undefined method 'columns_hash' for "chop"

For some reason, you have a string ("chop") where Rails is expecting you to have a model by the look of it.

After you get the value from:

what is the value of @chop and @chop.views? Can you post these 2 values and it might be clearer what is happening?

Mark Bush wrote:

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

For some reason, you have a string ("chop") where Rails is expecting you to have a model by the look of it.

After you get the value from:

what is the value of @chop and @chop.views? Can you post these 2 values and it might be clearer what is happening?

When i write @chop ........i get the value--->nil @chop.views....... i get the error---->NoMethodError: You have the nil object when you didn't expect it! The error occured while evaluating nil.views from (irb):1

tht its...

but when i run @chop = Chop.find(567, :include => [:song])

i get whole value from database. its very big so i cannt paste here.

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

@chop.views....... i get the error---->NoMethodError: You have the nil

What is this value (of @chop.views) immediately after running:

That is, what is the value of the "views" attribute of this particular Chop object?

Manish Nautiyal wrote:

@chop.views....... i get the error---->NoMethodError: You have the nil

What is this value (of @chop.views) immediately after running:

That is, what is the value of the "views" attribute of this particular Chop object?

While we're at it, what is views? An attribute, an association, a method computing some value ?

Fred