Unable to start rails after upgrade to 2.3.2

Error: /usr/local/bin/rails:19:in `load': no such file to load -- rails (LoadError) from /usr/local/bin/rails:19

Problem: Am unable to run the rails framework. Probable victim of a, self inflicted, GEM update run with insufficient privileges. Failure occurs when I attempt to run any rails commands. Rails says that it can't find itself, yet my machine seems to have several rails executables.

Context: Mac OS X 10.5.6 Ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-darwin9.6.0] Gem 1.3.1 Rails install was an attempt at 2.3.2 Which ruby shows: /usr/local/bin/ruby Which gem shows: /usr/local/bin/gem Which rails shows: /usr/local/bin/rails

.profile file sets path as follows: export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin: $PATH"

Have not found a .bash_profile or .bash_login file, so I believe (assume) that the only path statement is the one in the .profile file.

Have found the following rails folders: 1) /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/ Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/ lib 2) Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.2.2/bin/rails 3) Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.2/bin/rails 4) usr/bin/rails 5) usr/local/bin/rails

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look to solve this puzzle?