Unable to Install ruby-odbc gem on windows 2008 server bit

Hi, I am trying to install the ruby-odbc gem on windows 2008 server Enterprise SP2 64 bit version I have installed the devkit for ruby and it is also getting installed. When trying to install this ruby-odbc gem some how make.exe file is getting crashing and I am unable to install it further. I am able to install the same gem on a 32 bit machine but the same procedure does not work out on 64 environment. Following are the details of ruby and gem version ruby 1.8.7 (2011-12-28 patchlevel 357) [i386-mingw32] gem version is 1.3.7

Kindly suggest and help me in resolving this issue as this server is based on production environment and it is very critical Quick help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Raghuram.

Hi,

Hello,

I am trying to install the ruby-odbc gem on windows 2008 server

Enterprise SP2 64 bit version

I have installed the devkit for ruby and it is also getting installed.

When trying to install this ruby-odbc gem some how make.exe file is

getting crashing and I am unable to install it further.

I am able to install the same gem on a 32 bit machine but the same

procedure does not work out on 64 environment.

Following are the details of ruby and gem version

ruby 1.8.7 (2011-12-28 patchlevel 357) [i386-mingw32]

gem version is 1.3.7

Kindly suggest and help me in resolving this issue as this server is

based on production environment and it is very critical

Quick help is very much appreciated.

To solve ruby-odbc issue, other than contacting the gem author and ask for support I might not have a solution for you in that area.

However, there is another solution, and is use TinyTDS, which provides the lower layer access to SQL Server by using FreeTDS (the cross platform library for SQL Server)

TinyTDS has replaced the ruby-odbc backend used by Rails with great results and less problems.

Since you’re posting on a Rails group, most likely you’re using Rails, so the SQLServer adapter (which wraps TinyTDS) will be of help:

In the Wiki there are comments about the pros of this alternative:

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. The same procedure which I am following is working on windows 32 bit version of 2008 server but the problem is coming when we are trying with a 64 bit version. I just wanted to know if 64 bit version is having a problem when we try to install the ruby-odbc gem.

Does the architecture of the OS (32 or 64) make any difference when installing the ruby-odbc gem.

Regards, Raghuram.

Has the server the WOW64 installation?

WOW64 allows to run 32bits applications (Ruby) on 64bits OS.

can you provide the exact, complete output of gem install so we can see the error configure?

Please note that for ruby-odbc to work it requires some headers.

Hi,

Yes the system has WOW64 installation. Please find the attached screen shots for the error which I am getting Kindly let me know what are the headers I need to add to make it working.

Regards, Raghuram.

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/7360/error1.jpg http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/7361/erro2.jpg

Now that we actually know the error you’re getting, I can better assist you.

The access violation error you’re receiving from “make.exe” can be caused by two things: a corrupt download of DevKit (which includes make.exe) or a clash of a shared library in memory.

While is not exactly the same error that has been reported in the past to RubyInstaller list:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rubyinstaller/G-PV9cXDeEo/discussion

Look for the rebase tool and see if rebasing msys DLL helps.

There is another thread about similar issues but is associated with AMD processor:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rubyinstaller/npF30tledm8/discussion

Don’t think that is your case.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I have installed the same devkit on other 2008 server 64 bit which is Windows 2008 server Standard edition and using that I was able to install ruby-odbc gem. The server version which I am trying to install now is on a windows 2008 server Enterprise edition.

I do not think it is the problem of corrupted devkit file but there is something else which I am unable to figure out.

Kindly let me know what else can be done next as I followed the steps in the link which have been provided but none of them worked.

Regards, Raghuram.

Hi,

I have installed the same devkit on other 2008 server 64 bit which is

Windows 2008 server Standard edition and using that I was able to

install ruby-odbc gem.

The server version which I am trying to install now is on a windows 2008

server Enterprise edition.

I do not think it is the problem of corrupted devkit file but there is

something else which I am unable to figure out.

As I linked before, it might be that you require to “rebase” the msys DLL that is used by Make.

Seems you haven’t read that part.

Kindly let me know what else can be done next as I followed the steps in

the link which have been provided but none of them worked.

I did, the first link in my previous response.

I don’t think the only difference between your system is just editions (standard vs enterprise), I think there is more that we aren’t seeing.

Please join RubyInstaller and bring the subject there, as others in the list might have other ideas on what could be the reason for this issue.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/rubyinstaller