Trying to pull data out of XML doc using REXML

I am trying to get some info from an XML doc that kinda looks like:

<PUBLICATIONS>    <PUB>       <TITLE> ... </TITLE>       ...       <AUTHORS>          <AUTHOR> ... <AUTHOR>          <AUTHOR> ... <AUTHOR>       </AUTHORS>       <KEYWORDS>          <KEYWORD>...</KEYWORD>          <KEYWORD>...</KEYWORD>       </KEYWORDS>    </PUB> </PUBLICATIONS>

You get the picture...

I'm trying to write the publication, author list and keyword list to a database where the authors and keywords are associated with the publication using a has many thru relationship.

The code below works to put the publication in the database, but will only write the first author or keyword. I assume I am using REXML incorrectly, but can't figure out how to fix it.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

oh, and this is running as a rake task

task :toDatabase => :environment do

require "rexml/document"   file = File.new("public/xml_files/pubFile2009-09-14.xml")   doc = REXML::Document.new file   include REXML

#root = doc.root

doc.elements.each('//PUB' ) do |pub|

thispub = Publication.new(         :title => pub.elements['TITLE' ].nil? ? nil : pub.elements ['TITLE'].text,         :abstract => pub.elements['ABSTRACT' ].nil? ? nil : pub.elements['ABSTRACT'].text,         :volume => pub.elements['VOLUME' ].nil? ? nil : pub.elements ['VOLUME'].text,          ...       )       thispub.save

authors = pub.elements['AUTHORS'] rescue nil       if authors         xml_author = authors.elements['AUTHOR']         if xml_author           xml_author.each do |author|

if author               @name = author.to_s               if @name then                 @nameArr = @name.split(', ')                 thisauth = Author.new(                   :first_name => @nameArr[1],                   :last_name => @nameArr[0],                   :ours => true               )               end             end

thisauth.save             thispub.authors << thisauth           end         end       end

thispub.save

pub.elements.each('KEYWORDS') do |tag|

if tag.elements['KEYWORD']          thiskeyword = Keyword.find_or_create_by_keyword(tag.elements ['KEYWORD'].text)          thispub.keywords << thiskeyword         end

end

thispub.save     end

end

Quick tip. Look at Nokogiri before investing much time in parsing with REXML.

http://nokogiri.rubyforge.org/nokogiri/

Besides being faster, the parsing syntax is nicer. Here's some example code for pulling apart Excel exported XML:

http://github.com/kete/kete/blob/master/lib/workers/excel_based_importer_worker.rb # starting around line 26

You probably want to look for examples of use of the "at" and "xpath" methods, too.

Cheers, Walter