Trying to make a user list from 2 fields

My model has two fields that I want in a customer list for an index page. They are name and second_name. I need a way to combine them in a collection with their id numbers so the Edit links will work. Sounds like SQL, but I'm not sure.

maybe something like: SELECT name, id FROM households and SELECT second_name, id FROM households

just not sure how to make ONE statement from these two including both...

Thanks

Bob

Bob Smith wrote:

My model has two fields that I want in a customer list for an index page. They are name and second_name. I need a way to combine them in a collection with their id numbers so the Edit links will work. Sounds like SQL, but I'm not sure.

maybe something like: SELECT name, id FROM households and SELECT second_name, id FROM households

just not sure how to make ONE statement from these two including both...

Thanks

Bob

I'm not clear what you exactly want..

If you want to display name, second name in ur page,

use this in controller,

Assuming ur model name is Household

@households = Household.all

& in the view,

@households.each do |hh|   hh.name + hh.second_name end

this is wht u want?

regards, Srikanth

I don't understand what you mean by 'their id numbers'. The household record will have an id but the individual fields do not, they just have the text of the name and second_name. Perhaps you are talking about relationships to other models rather than fields in the model? If so then we need to know the relationships.

Colin

All I need is a list of names and their id field so I can setup links to edit them from the view. The problem is that there are two name lists. I need to combine them and have either rails or SQL order them alphabetically.

All I need is a list of names and their id field so I can setup links to edit them from the view. The problem is that there are two name lists. I need to combine them and have either rails or SQL order them alphabetically.

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. What do you mean a list of names and their id fields? You said that the names are fields in your model, so they do not have id's of their own. I asked that question last time and you have not answered it.

Colin

What I need returned is a list of the names in the fields name and sname put together in alphabetical order with their ids so I can make this list into an index screen with edit links. I assume the id would be Household.id, just looking for a way to combine two name fields for the index page.

Bob

Once again, please do not top post. Insert your reply a appropriate points in the previous message. Thanks

What I need returned is a list of the names in the fields name and sname put together in alphabetical order with their ids so I can make this list into an index screen with edit links. I assume the id would be Household.id, just looking for a way to combine two name fields for the index page.

I think I am slowly managing to get some grasp of what you are trying to achieve, though it is proving very difficult to get information from you.

Is it right that you want a view showing a list of households where for each household you show the name which is a concatenation of two fields from the household object? If so then you can do something like

<% @households.each do |household| %> <%= "#{household.name1} #{household.name2}" %> <% end %>

However it would be better to provide a method oh Household that returns the combined name so you can use <%= household.combined_name %>

Colin

I have 2 name fields called name and sname. What I am trying to do is show both names in the index page at the beginning of the app. They need to be combined as a list which is then put in alphabetical order and given to the index page to be displayed with edit links for each item.

Bob

When I suggested not top posting, I suggested inserting your post in the previous post in order that it appears after the question it is answering. Not just sticking the reply down the bottom.

I have 2 name fields called name and sname. What I am trying to do is show both names in the index page at the beginning of the app. They need to be combined as a list which is then put in alphabetical order and given to the index page to be displayed with edit links for each item.

So which part is giving the problem? Fetching the records from the database in the right order (in the controller), making the records available to the view, showing the names on the view or showing the edit links?

[This would be a good place to insert your reply]

Colin

Bob, what Colin (and others) are trying to understand is what you're actually trying to do. When you say that you have 2 name fileds (name and sname) do you mean that you have a first name and a surname, each in a Household record (i.e., corresponding, for example, to the head of the household), or do you mean that you have another model (i.e., Person) in which you have fields for name, sname, and household_id (thereby relating the Person record to the Household to which the person belongs, with associated relationships in the models)?

As you indicated that you want to display the id of the "name or sname" the inference which I draw is that they will be different, thereby implying that your two name fields are in a model different from the Household model (as they would otherwise both have the same id, corresponding to the id of the Household record). If both name and sname are fields in the same (Person) record (and related to a particular Household record), then concatination can be done in your view, model, or a helper, with the better practice being in the model or helper. Note that you probably do not want hh.name + hh.sname (as suggested above) as that would look strange. You probably would want either hh.sname + ', ' + hh.name or hh.name + ' ' + hh.sname instead.

Until you ask a clearly defined question, it is impossible to guess what you want or to provide you with the appropriate guidance.

Sandy

Bob Smith wrote:

Bob

controller:

def index   # get ordered households   @households = Household.find(:all, :order => 'sname, name') end

index view: <table>   <% @households.each do |hh| %>     <tr>       <td><%= link_to 'Edit Me!', edit_household_path(hh) %></td>       <td><%= link_to 'Old school link', :controller => 'households', :action => 'edit', :id => hh.id %></td>       <td><%= h(hh.sname)+', '+h(hh.name) %></td>     </tr>   <% end %> </table>

or if you simply want a list of links:

<table>   <% @households.each do |hh| %>     <tr>       <td><%= link_to h(hh.sname)+', '+h(hh.name), edit_household_path(hh) %></td>     </tr>   <% end %> </table>

or something like that...

The problem I'm having is in combining these two name lists into one list, then putting it in alphabetical order. Name is for head of household, and sname is for a second person, either a wife or husband. These are two fields in the same record. Combining the lists and putting them in alphabetical order will show a full list to match whoever comes for the food. This program is for a local foodbank.

Thanks Bob

Sounds like Ar Chron's code would do it. Did you try his suggestion ?

Fred

I think I have just realised what the OP is after, he wants each record to appear twice in the list, once showing name and once showing sname with the two record sets interleaved so that the displayed names are in alpha order. OP is that correct?

Colin

Ok, Bob,

The problem now seems to be that there is a Household model which contains two fields, name and sname, each of which is the full name (hopefully in the format of last_name, first_name) of a Person in the Household (although it now appears that the question is limited in scope to using a "flat file" which always includes two People per Household). While I would suggest using a second, Person, model, whereby each Household could include one or more "authorized" People, that does not appear to be the question.

Assuming that I now understand the Household model, the question appears to be, "How do I create a view which interleaves the names (name and sname) from multiple Household records, alphabetically, with two columns per row ("aname" and "id") from the households table, where "aname" is either "name" or "sname" from the original table."

Given the foregoing (and without adding a Person model and relationships), the way I would implement the controller would be to create a new array of hashes of the form {:aname, :id}, then add an element to the array from name/id and sname/id hash for each row in the households table. Then, in the view, I would simply sort the new array by aname, and display the sorted array.

Assuming the following Household records:

id name sname 1 Doe, John Doe, Joan 2 Smith, Sam Doe, Jill 3 Adams, Art Little, Louise 4 Jones, Tom Doe, Jane

The sorted array would display, as follows:

Recipients Name Household ID Adams, Art 3 Doe, Jane 4 Doe, Jill 2 Doe, Joan 1 Doe, John 1 Jones, Tom 4 Little, Louise 3 Smith, Sam 2

For simplicity (without dealing with routes.rb), you can provide the following code in the households_controller to show the above in the view (index.html.erb):

def index     @households = Household.all

@sorted = Array.new     for n in @households do       @sorted << { :aname => n.name, :id => n.id }       @sorted << { :aname => n.sname, :id => n.id }     end

respond_to do |format|       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @households }     end   end

Then, in the view, index.html.erb:

<h1>Listing Households</h1>

<table>   <tr>     <th>id</th>     <th>Name</th>     <th>Sname</th>   </tr>

<% @households.each do |household| %>   <tr>     <td><%=h household.id %></td>     <td><%=h household.name %></td>     <td><%=h household.sname %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Show', household %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_household_path(household) %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Destroy', household, :confirm => 'Are you sure?', :method => :delete %></td>   </tr> <% end %> </table>

<br />

<h1>Listing Recipients</h1>

<table>   <tr>     <th>Name</th><th>Household ID</th>   </tr>   <% @sorted.sort_by { |n| n[:aname] }.each do |n| %>     <tr>       <td><%= n[:aname] %></td><td><%= n[:id] %>     </tr>   <% end %> </table> <%= link_to 'New household', new_household_path %></table>

Thereby, providing the following output in the view:

Listing Households id Name Sname 1 Doe, John Doe, Joan Show Edit Destroy 2 Smith, Sam Doe, Jill Show Edit Destroy 3 Adams, Art Little, Louise Show Edit Destroy 4 Jones, Tom Doe, Jane Show Edit Destroy

Listing Recipients Name Household ID Adams, Art 3 Doe, Jane 4 Doe, Jill 2 Doe, Joan 1 Doe, John 1 Jones, Tom 4 Little, Louise 3 Smith, Sam 2 New household

Of course, it would be trivial to create the desired view if the application included a People model, related to the Household model, and doing so would allow for one or more "recipients" per household. On the other hand, the forms used to create households and authorized recipients would be more complex, or maybe you're dealing with a legacy database having the flat file structure.

Now... is this what you wanted?

Sandy

In the interest of completely responding to your question about getting the "Edit" links, and to simplify the view code, you may do the sorting in the household_controller. Then, you would simply iterate over the (already) sorted @sorted array. The only other "trick" is that you do have to use the find function in the view, as the restful routing is based on the household object.

Finally, in my penultimate paragraph, I meant Person (not People) model.

That being said, here is the revised code:

Controller:

def index     @households = Household.all

@sorted = Array.new     for n in @households do       @sorted << { :aname => n.name, :id => n.id }       @sorted << { :aname => n.sname, :id => n.id }     end     @sorted = @sorted.sort_by { |n| n[:aname] }

respond_to do |format|       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @households }     end   end

View:

<h1>Listing Households</h1>

<table>   <tr>     <th>id</th>     <th>Name</th>     <th>Sname</th>   </tr>

<% @households.each do |household| %>   <tr>     <td><%=h household.id %></td>     <td><%=h household.name %></td>     <td><%=h household.sname %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Show', household %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_household_path(household) %></td>     <td><%= link_to 'Destroy', household, :confirm => 'Are you sure?', :method => :delete %></td>   </tr> <% end %> </table>

<br/>

<h1>Recipients</h1>

<table>   <tr>     <th>Name</th><th>Household ID</th>   </tr>   <% @sorted.each do |n| %>     <tr>       <td><%= n[:aname] %></td>       <td><%= n[:id] %>       <td><%= link_to 'Show', Household.find(n[:id]) %></td>       <td><%= link_to 'Edit', edit_household_path(Household.find(n[:id])) %></td>       <td><%= link_to 'Destroy', Household.find(n[:id]), :confirm => 'Are you sure?', :method => :delete %></td>     </tr>   <% end %> </table> <br/>

<%= link_to 'New household', new_household_path %>

Now, the Show, Edit, and Destroy links are shown with each Recipient in the list of Recipients, but they are routed to the associated Show, Edit, and Destroy functions in the household_controller. Again, I have shown the id from the households table in both the Households Listing and the Recipients listing so that it's easier to see what's going on. You will probably need only the Recipients listing portion of index.html.erb, but the way I coded it, you can easily see that it works. As always, I test code before posting it here.

Sandy

Sandy wrote:

I think that was the issue that Bob was trying to address, and I'm hoping it was due to his having inherited some legacy flat file database, and possilby not knowing how to normalize it, or being prevented from doing so by something else in the application which uses the households table. Otherwise, the application cries out for relationships between a Person model (a "belongs_to :household" relationship) and the Household model (a "has_many :people"). While this does complicate, slightly, the addition of people to households, it would be a better way to approach the problem, and it would allow for more than two "authorized receivers" per household (although I have no idea of what the business rules are for his application, and they could be... 2 and only 2 per household).

Next, @sorted, as defined in the households_controller, does not replicate the household record for each "authorized receiver" (I prefer that term, rather than "resident", because a household could include many residents, only two of whom are authorized to receive food from the food bank). What @sorted does is to provide an array sorted by the names of the "authorized users" with the id of the relevant household record. With that id, one can use Household.find to obtain the relevant household record and then obtain any other field from that record. Of course, if any additional fields were needed in the view, they could be added to the hash in the @sorted array when it was created in the controller, thereby avoiding the need to do the lookups in the view and keeping the data access logic out of the view.

While I did use @households in the households_controller, the only reason I did that was so that I could display both households and receivers in the same index.html.erb view, so that it was clear that the @sorted array was providing the "authorized users" in their sorted order with the id of the relevant household record. Otherwise, better practice would be to have households be a local variable within the controller.

Sandy

> Sandy wrote: > >> >> Combining the lists and putting them in alphabetical order will show a

> >> Colin

> > Ok, Bob,

> > The problem now seems to be that there is a Household model which > > contains two fields, name and sname, each of which is the full name

> Yes, that would change the landscape a bit. Sounds like Sandy's > solution has the right of it by using @households to build @sorted, > thereby replicating the household record for each resident.

> -- > Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

I think that was the issue that Bob was trying to address, and I'm hoping it was due to his having inherited some legacy flat file database, and possilby not knowing how to normalize it, or being prevented from doing so by something else in the application which uses the households table. Otherwise, the application cries out for relationships between a Person model (a "belongs_to :household" relationship) and the Household model (a "has_many :people"). While this does complicate, slightly, the addition of people to households, it would be a better way to approach the problem, and it would allow for more than two "authorized receivers" per household (although I have no idea of what the business rules are for his application, and they could be... 2 and only 2 per household).

Next, @sorted, as defined in the households_controller, does not replicate the household record for each "authorized receiver" (I prefer that term, rather than "resident", because a household could include many residents, only two of whom are authorized to receive food from the food bank). What @sorted does is to provide an array sorted by the names of the "authorized users" with the id of the relevant household record. With that id, one can use Household.find to obtain the relevant household record and then obtain any other field from that record. Of course, if any additional fields were needed in the view, they could be added to the hash in the @sorted array when it was created in the controller, thereby avoiding the need to do the lookups in the view and keeping the data access logic out of the view.

While I did use @households in the households_controller, the only reason I did that was so that I could display both households and receivers in the same index.html.erb view, so that it was clear that the @sorted array was providing the "authorized users" in their sorted order with the id of the relevant household record. Otherwise, better practice would be to have households be a local variable within the controller.

Sandy

Thanks for the replies, Sandy. That was very close to what I needed.. The problem now is that I am using a text field with observe_field to allow the list to be shrunk, as the beginning of the name is entered. Then the household list is displayed with will_paginate. I can't seem to fit the conditions to reduce the list and a call to paginate into the code you provided. Below is my controller and view code.

By the way, the household class represents a household (novel, eh?). It has HOH and spouse names, street address, mailing, zip, phone, and income info. There is a person model that only holds sex and birthday of each person in the house. This is used for lists for christmas and to report what age people and families used the foodbank.

class HouseholdsController < ApplicationController   helper 'households'

def admin     @date = Time.now   end

def back     $hidden = 0     redirect_to(households_url)   end

def backup     result = `~/foodshelf/script/backup`     flash[:notice] = 'Backup completed'     redirect_to(:action => 'index')   # debugger   end

def christmas     # debugger     # children under 12     @birthday = Date.today-12.years     @f = Household.find(:all, :conditions => ["people.birthday

:bday", {:bday => @birthday}], :joins => [:people])

@family12 = @f.uniq.sort_by {|r| r.name_list}     @test = Household.count :all, :group => 'people.household_id', :joins => :people     respond_to do |format|       # format.xml { head :ok }       format.pdf { send_data render_to_pdf( :action => 'christmas',                                             :layout => 'pdf_report'),                                             :filename => "Christmas_report_for_" + Date.today.strftime('%Y') }     end   end

def copy     result = `~/foodshelf/script/copy`     flash[:notice] = 'Copy completed'     redirect_to(:action => 'index')   end

def create   #debugger     @household = Household.new()     @churches = Church.find(:all, :order => "name").map {|u| [u.name, u.id]} #debugger     fix_dates     if @household.update_attributes(params[:household])       @v = Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @month, :year => @year)       @v.update_attributes(params['visit'])       flash[:notice] = 'Household was successfully saved.'       redirect_to households_path     else       #debugger       flash[:notice] = 'Create failed - look for a red field name'       render(:action => :new)     end   end

# DELETE /households/1   # DELETE /households/1.xml   def destroy     # debugger      @household = Household.find(params[:id])      flash[:notice] = 'Household was deleted.'      @household.destroy   # @delcmd = 'delete from visits where household_id = ' + @household.id.to_s    # debugger   # Visit.connection.execute(@delcmd)     # flash[:notice] = "Successfully destroyed household."     redirect_to(households_url)   end

def daysinmonth(mon)         (Date.new(Time.now.year,12,31).to_date<<(12-mon)).day   end

# GET /households/1/edit   def edit    # debugger     @today = Date.today     @household = Household.find(params[:id])     @churches = Church.find(:all, :order => "name").map {|u| [u.name, u.id]}     # debugger     fix_dates     @v = Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @month, :year => @year)     @monthly = @v.monthly # debugger   end

def fix_dates     # Get week of next Thursday     # week is week of month     @today = Date.today     @day = @today.strftime('%d').to_i     if (@day>8)       @thisthurs = Chronic.parse('last thursday')     else       @thisthurs = Chronic.parse('next thursday')     end     @dayofthisthurs = @thisthurs.strftime('%d').to_i     @monthofthisthurs = @thisthurs.strftime('%m').to_i     @yearofthisthurs = @thisthurs.strftime('%Y').to_i     @month = Date.today.mon()     @daysinmonth = daysinmonth(@month)     @year = @yearofthisthurs     @dayoffirstthurs = @dayofthisthurs     while @dayoffirstthurs>7       @dayoffirstthurs -= 7     end   #debugger     if (@day <= @dayoffirstthurs) # for getting correct week for fruit/ bread       @week = 1       @monthname = @today.strftime('%B')     elsif (@day <= @dayoffirstthurs+7)       @week = 2       @monthname = @today.strftime('%B')     elsif (@day <= @dayoffirstthurs+14)       @week = 3       @monthname = @today.strftime('%B')    elsif (@day <= @dayoffirstthurs+21)       @week = 4       @monthname = @today.strftime('%B')    elsif (@day <= @dayoffirstthurs+28 && @dayoffirstthurs+28 <= daysinmonth(@month))       @week = 5       @monthname = @today.strftime('%B')    else       @week = 1       @nextmonth = @today>>1       @monthname = @nextmonth.strftime('%B')     end   end

def get_person     session[:person] ||= Person.new   end

def hidden     $hidden = 1     redirect_to(households_url)   end

def idreport     @today = Date.today    # @test2= Household.find(:all)    # @test = @test2.sort_by{|c| [c.name_list, c.second_name_list] }     @idstring = sprintf("select households.id, households.last_name, households.first_name from households order by last_name, first_name")     # debugger     @id = Household.find_by_sql(@idstring)     respond_to do |format|       # format.xml { head :ok }       format.pdf { send_data render_to_pdf( :action => 'idreport',                                             :layout => 'pdf_report'),                                             :filename => "ID_List_for_" + @today.strftime('%m%d%%Y') }     end   end

# GET /households   # GET /households.xml   def index     conditions = ["last_name like ? ", "#{params[:search]}%"]     if $hidden == 1 then       @households = ArchivedHousehold.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions     else       @households = Household.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions       $hidden = 0     end   end

def monthly #debugger     @start = Date.new(params[:year].to_i, params[:month].to_i, 1)     @end = @start>>1     @newstring = sprintf("select last_name, first_name from households where start_date >= '%10s' and start_date < '%10s' order by last_name, first_name;",@start,@end)   # debugger     @new = Household.find_by_sql(@newstring)     @repeatstring = sprintf("select households.last_name, households.first_name from households,visits where " +                   "households.id=visits.household_id and visits.month='%2d' and visits.year = '%4d' " +                   "and visits.monthly = 1 and (households.start_date

= '%10s' or households.start_date < '%10s') " +

"order by households.last_name,households.first_name;", @start.month, @start.year, @end, @start)     @repeat = Household.find_by_sql(@repeatstring)     @churches = Church.find(:all, :order => "name").map {|u| [u.name, u.id]}

respond_to do |format|       # format.xml { head :ok }       format.pdf { send_data render_to_pdf( :action => 'monthly',                                             :layout => 'pdf_report'),                                             :filename => "Monthly_report_for_" + @start.strftime('%B') + "_" + @start.year.to_s }     end   end

# GET /households/new   # GET /households/new.xml def new     @today = Date.today     @lastthurs = Chronic.parse('last thursday of month')     @dayoflastthurs = @lastthurs.strftime('%d').to_i     @household = Household.new     @household.people.build     fix_dates end

def print    # debugger     @churches = Church.find(:all, :order => "name").map {|u| [u.name, u.id]} # @households = Household.find(:all, :order => "last_name, first_name")     @households = Household.find(278,279)     # encrypt ??     # if not encrypted, delete ?     date=`date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M`     respond_to do |format|       format.pdf { send_data render_to_pdf( :action => 'print',                                             :layout => 'pdf_report'),                                             :filename => "Household_List_for_" + date }     end   end

def putadmin     debugger   end

def reset_links     Household.find(:all).each { |h|       if h.sfirst_name.nil? then         h.sfirst_name=' '       end       if h.smiddle.nil? then         h.smiddle=' '       end       if h.slast_name.nil? then         h.slast_name=' '       end     h.save     }     redirect_to(households_url)   end

def restore     Household.restore_all([ 'id = ?', params[:id] ])     flash[:notice] = 'Household was restored.'     $hidden = 0     redirect_to(households_url)   end

def search     conditions = ["last_name like ?", "#{params[:search]}%"]     if $hidden == 0 then       @households = Household.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions     else       @households = ArchivedHousehold.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions     end     render :partial=>"search", :layout=>false   end

# POST /households   # POST /households.xml   # PUT /households/1   # PUT /households/1.xml   def update     @household = Household.find(params[:id])     @churches = Church.find(:all, :order => "name").map {|u| [u.name, u.id]}     fix_dates     @v = Visit.find_or_create_by_household_id_and_month_and_year(:household_id => params[:id], :month => @month, :year => @year)     if @week == 1 then       @xweek = @v.week1       @yweek = params[:visit][:week1].to_i     elsif @week == 2 then       @xweek = @v.week2       @yweek = params[:visit][:week2].to_i     elsif @week == 3 then       @xweek = @v.week3       @yweek = params[:visit][:week3].to_i     elsif @week == 4 then       @xweek = @v.week4       @yweek = params[:visit][:week4].to_i     elsif @week == 5 then       @xweek = @v.week5       @yweek = params[:visit][:week5].to_i     end     if @v.monthly != params[:visit][:monthly].to_i || @xweek != @yweek       @today = Date.today       @begin = Date.new(@today.year,7,1)       if @household.start_date < @begin then         @household.start_date = @today       end     end     @v.update_attributes(params['visit'])    # debugger     if @household.update_attributes(params[:household])       flash[:notice] = 'Household was successfully updated.'       redirect_to households_path     else       flash[:notice] = 'Create failed - look for a red field name'       @churches = Church.find(:all, :order => "name").map {|u| [u.name, u.id]}       render :action => "edit"     end   end

def watch_address # debugger     if @match = Household.find_by_address(params[':address'])       render :partial => "address_match"     else       render(:nothing=>true)     end   end

def watch_church     # debugger       if (params[':zip'] != "01540") && (params[':zip'] != "01537") && (params[':zip'] != "01611") then       render :partial => "church_select"     else       render(:nothing=>true)     end   end end

Index.html.erb

<h1>Index of Households</h1> <%= text_field_tag 'search', params['search'], :autocomplete => "off" %> <%= observe_field 'search',         :frequency => 0.5,         :update => 'searchdiv',         :url => {:controller => 'households', :action => 'search'},         :with => "'search=' + encodeURIComponent(value) " %> <div id='searchdiv'>    <%= render :partial=>"search" %> </div> <pre> <% form_tag new_household_path do%> <%= if $hidden == 0 then submit_tag "New household" end %> <% end %> <%= will_paginate @households %>

<%= link_to 'Admin', admin_path %> <%= if $hidden == 1 then link_to "Back", { :action => :back } end %> </pre> <%= javascript_tag('$("search").focus();') %>

Sandy wrote:

Yes, that would change the landscape a bit. �Sounds like Sandy's solution has the right of it by using @households to build @sorted, thereby replicating the household record for each resident.

-- Posted viahttp://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Sandy

Many thanks again Sandy. Another problem has appeared. The list is created and displayed correctly, but won't let the search function narrow down the list. This works perfectly using the Household variable, but won't narrow the search using the array created by adding both names together. The way I have it, the person entering the information only needs to get a persons license and enter the first few letters of the last name, narrowing the list down to a few entries that match and clicking the edit link next to the name wanted.

This search function, paginate, and the use of an array other than the Household variable don't seem to work together. I included the parts of controller and view that have this problem..

household_controller.rb   def make_double_list     @households = Household.all     $households = Array.new     @sorted = Array.new # debugger     for n in @households do      @sorted << { :last_name => n.last_name, :first_name => n.first_name, :address => n.address, :id => n.id }       if !n.slast_name.blank? then @sorted << { :last_name => n.slast_name, :first_name => n.sfirst_name, :address => n.address, :id => n.id } end     end     $households = @sorted.sort_by { |x| x[:last_name] }   end

def index     make_double_list     if $hidden.blank? then $hidden = 0 end   #debugger     conditions = ["last_name like ? ", "#{params[:search]}%"]     if $hidden == 0 then       @households = Household.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions     else       @households = ArchivedHousehold.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions       $hidden = 0     end   end

def search    # debugger     conditions = ["last_name like ?", "#{params[:search]}%"]     if $hidden == 0 then       @households = Household.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions       debugger     else       @households = ArchivedHousehold.paginate :per_page => 16,                                        :page => params[:page],                                        :order => 'last_name',                                        :conditions => conditions     end     render :partial=>"search", :layout=>false   end

index.html.erb <h1>Index of Households</h1> <%= text_field_tag 'search', params['search'], :autocomplete => "off" %> <%= observe_field 'search',         :frequency => 0.5,         :update => 'searchdiv',         :url => {:controller => 'households', :action => 'search'},         :with => "'search=' + encodeURIComponent(value) " %> <div id='searchdiv'>    <%= render :partial=>"search" %> </div> <pre> <% form_tag new_household_path do%>   <%= if $hidden == 0 then submit_tag "New household" end %> <% end %> <%= will_paginate @households %>

_search.html.erb <table width='75%' cellspacing=5>   <tr>     <th></th>     <th width='25%' align=left>Last Name</th>     <th width='25%' align=left>First Name</th>     <th width='50%' align=left>Address</th>   </tr> <% for n in @households %> <tr>       <% if $hidden == 0 %>         <td><%= link_to 'Edit', :action => 'edit', :id => n[:id] %></td>       <% end %>       <% if $hidden == 1 %>           <td><%= link_to 'Restore', :action => 'restore', :id => n[:id] %></td>       <% end %>       <td><%= n[:last_name] %></td>       <td><%= n[:first_name] %></td>       <td><%= n[:address] %></td>       <td></td>       <% if $hidden == 0 %>         <td><%= link_to 'Delete', :action => 'delete', :id => n[:id], :confirm => 'Are you sure ?' %></td>       <% end %>     </tr>   <% end %> </table>