`<top (required)>': undefined method `default_external=' for Encoding:Class (NoMethodError)

Why would I be getting these errors when running any of the commands in rails (rails console/rake/etc)?

$ rails server /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta/lib/rails.rb:25:in `<top (required)>': undefined method `default_external=' for Encoding:Class (NoMethodError)   from /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta/lib/rails/all.rb: 1:in `require'   from /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta/lib/rails/all.rb: 1:in `<top (required)>'   from /home/emily/Work/echantillons/config/application.rb:3:in `require'   from /home/emily/Work/echantillons/config/application.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'   from /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta/lib/rails/ commands.rb:36:in `require'   from /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/railties-3.0.0.beta/lib/rails/ commands.rb:36:in `<top (required)>'   from /home/emily/Work/echantillons/script/rails:10:in `require'   from /home/emily/Work/echantillons/script/rails:10:in `<main>'

Why would I be getting these errors when running any of the commands in rails (rails console/rake/etc)?

Looks like you are running ruby 1.9.0, 1.9.0 was a somewhat unstable development release of ruby. The first production ready release of the 1.9 series was 1.9.1 and you should be using that if you want to run ruby 1.9

Fred

I got everything to work in downgrading to Rails 2.3.5 (using beta means there isn't much documentation out there and it was quite inconvenient) and upgrading to Ruby 1.9.1. Thanks!