Timeout issue and custom solution

We're using nginx with HAProxy and mongrel as well as monit and we're integrating with SAP using Piers Harding's sapnwrfc gem. It contains a C-extension which calls itself an SAP provided C-library for RFC calls. In general it works great.

But there are SAP RFCs with very long runtimes, e.g. orders with a lot of items, searches with not restricted enough search criterias, but also sporadic hickups in SAP which can happen to any RFC call. They can block a mongrel for more than 2 minutes. We therefore need a timeout solution.

The 2 available solutions we found (SystemTimer and Terminator) just wouldn't work, no matter what we tried. We therefore wrote an old- fashioned custom solution: each request writes a file initially and deletes it again at the end of processing. A monit process which runs periodically (in our case every 10s) checks whether there are any files older than a specific timeout period. If it finds one, it kills the mongrel process (no soft kill) and starts a new one. When the mongrel gets killed, nginx receives a 504 error. We assume that this will happen mostly (only ?) in timeout cases, therefore we modified it to redirect to our app to a page which has an error message about the timeout.

This solution works perfectly so far. The only weird phenomenon we saw is that in one case the user never gets the error page/redirect, but the browser just hangs (firefox and IE).

Comments ? Ideas why SytemTimer and Terminator would not work ? Improvements to the current solution ?

Adrian Zehnder www.b2b2dot0.com

The solution details: 1. Setting a global constant with the mongrel port during initialization: begin ObjectSpace.each_object(Mongrel::HttpServer) do |i|   Const::App.port = i.port end rescue Const::App.port = '3000' # when testing etc. end

2. Creating/deleting the file in before/after filters: class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base before_filter :write_timeout_file after_filter :delete_timeout_file def write_timeout_file   File.new("tmp/pids/mongrel.#{Const::App.port}.req", "w").close end def delete_timeout_file   File.delete("tmp/pids/mongrel.#{Const::App.port}.req") end end

3. Monit Configuration: check file mongrel.3000.req path /var/www/apps/b2b2dot0/current/tmp/ pid /mongrel.3000.req    if timestamp > 90 seconds         then exec "/export/admin-scripts/kill_mongrel.sh 3000"    mode passive    group mongrel_timeout

I too faced the same problem. I could use SystemTimer to timeout rails requests which did most any tasks like running a system command via %x, or sleeping for some time etc, but AR queries to postgresql weren’t timed out. That’s when I monkey patched the AR postgresql connection adapter to set a session “statement_timeout” for postgres. Now postgres times out any query running for longer than my timeout milli seconds value.

I guess you could do the same with whatever DB or backend service you’re using. Of course, the pure solution would be to find out why SystemTimer wouldn’t work in this case and fix SystemTimer or rails or both depending on the problem.

cheers,

skar.