:throw option for AR finders that don't throw RecordNotFound exceptions

I remarked earlier that I think it’s a good indication that there should be separate ‘loading’ and ‘finding’ API. Find is way overloaded, though that can be valuable trait, as with Ruby’s relatively small set of builtin collection classes each serving many needs.

Perhaps: Person.load(1) Person.load_by_name(‘bob’) meaning “give me the record that I’ve uniquely identified for you” versus Person.find_by_name(‘bob’) meaning “look for records matching the criteria I’ve given and return the first one”

jeremy

I agree with Rick here. I count on find(id) throwing an exception. I use find_by_id(id) if I want it the other way.

I use find_by_id if I want nil, there’s no need to change behaviour if it can be achieved using a different method.

Cheers,

Jamie van Dyke

Fear of Fish

http://www.fearoffish.co.uk

I agree with you guys, all I'm saying is that if we go ahead with find! we will have a `find' which does about a million different things. It sometimes raises exceptions if there's a bang and sometimes raises exceptions if there's not a bang. Complexity?

I like what Jeremy is saying about load vs find. I think that's what I'm reaching for. When you find(13) you're asking Rails to load a specific record. When you find_by_id(13) you're like "hey give me this if you can, if not that's cool too." Maybe that is a route to discuss.

I think maybe the issue is that the behavior of find_by_id(id) and find(id) is un-least-surprising.

I would be very happy if bang-find always threw an exception on empty, no matter the parameters or dynamic inlined fields in the method name, and no-bang-find never did. We already use ! for that purpose on create and save as had been noted so I don't think it would make the API less Ruby-esque.

Evan

Chris Wanstrath wrote:

I agree with you guys, all I'm saying is that if we go ahead with find! we will have a `find' which does about a million different things. It sometimes raises exceptions if there's a bang and sometimes raises exceptions if there's not a bang. Complexity?

I like what Jeremy is saying about load vs find. I think that's what I'm reaching for. When you find(13) you're asking Rails to load a specific record. When you find_by_id(13) you're like "hey give me this if you can, if not that's cool too." Maybe that is a route to discuss.

Yep. I brought up the point of find() being way overloaded back in Feb, and got no traction. The current find() API is about 3 different APIs rolled into one method. When not finding a record, find will either throw an exception, return nil, or return an empty array, depending on if it was called by id, :first, or :all. Having the method parse its params to determine how to handle things is ugly. Yes, it's the same as render(:whatever), but it's still ugly, moreso since the id case can accept several kinds of values (int, list, array). Adding a find! and find_by_whatever! and find_or_create_by_whatever! might have advantages in places, but if we're really going there, can we maybe come up with a big picture of where we want to be long-term and then figure out how to get there in a way that's not too painful?

load() vs find() could be a good start, but it's obviously a 2.0 kind of change since it is not backward compatible. My vote would include separating the find(id), find(:first) and find(:all) cases into separate methods. I know find_first and find_all are deprecated (for good reason - the positional parameter API sucked), but perhaps something like find_one and find_many would work.

Perhaps that's only because you've become accustomed to the convention?

I'm bothered by the inconsistency:

User.find_by_id(10)

=> nil

User.find(:first, :conditions => ["id = ?", 10])

=> nil

User.find(10)

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound: Couldn't find User with ID=10

IMO, this makes quite a bit more sense when looking at the rest of the API:

User.find(10)

nil

User.find!(10)

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound: Couldn't find User with ID=10

-PJ http://www.pjhyett.com

I know find_first and find_all are deprecated (for good reason - the positional parameter API sucked), but perhaps something like find_one and find_many would work.

public :find_initial public :find_every

there you go.

IMHO bang wouldn't follow Ruby's convention (ie that "!" makes something destructive to the object).

Something along "find_or_raise" would follow Rails' "find_or_create" convention.

But +1 to load vs find. Sounds cool.

[mailto:rubyonrails-core@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of josh@hasmanythrough.com

Another thought … how about replacing find(:first) with find(:one). :first implies some sort of order where none actually exists.

-Jonathan.

Because find(:first) will actually bring you the first record of the result set. If you include :conditions and :order, then you have a restricted set with a specific order. Then :first makes sense.

Although find(:one) would be awesome for doing a random – “bring me a random record from this result set” :slight_smile:

Actually, if you search around ruby-talk the bang methods can just be used more generally to mean a "dangerous operation". At least this is what I found in a thread from 04:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/120093

So using find! would be totally appropriate....for a similiar example in core ruby see Kernel#exit and exit!.

- rob

It seems to me that :first only makes sense if you add an :order option, because then there is a record that can logically be first. But when you use it on its own it seems to imply some sort of order that doesn’t actually exist.

When I’ve been teaching Rails I’ve often found that people expect find(:first) to return the record with the lowest id number, which is often not the case. find(:one) would probably remove that bit of confusion.

But I agreee that once you add an :order clause, find(:first, :order => … ) makes more sense :).

-Jonathan.

I stand corrected :slight_smile: Thanks for the link.

I'm still having a hard time looking for the semantics of "find!" (I mean - what's the dangerous operation being performed?)

I'll keep reading your posts and think about it :slight_smile:

[mailto:rubyonrails-core@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob Sanheim

Jonathan Viney wrote:

Another thought .... how about replacing find(:first) with find(:one). :first implies some sort of order where none actually exists.

Not replacing, but creating a new option. find :first would find only the first record; if there are more than one, only the first is returned. find :one would imply that one and only one match should exist: if no match is found, RecordNotFound would be raised; if more than one match is found, something like NonUniqueResult would be raised.

-- Marcus Brito

There’s a few examples in Rails core for this exact sort of behaviour:

ActiveRecord::Base.create vs. ActiveRecord::Base.create!

If create fails it returns an unsaved record. If create! fails you end up with a raised exception. Base.create! calls Base.save! which, again, raises an exception instead of returning false on failure.

To me the bang on a method that is to perform the same actions as the non-bang method would mean “if this fails, you MUST handle it” instead of the non-bang method which fails silently with only a nil/false return value.

I also second the idea of a some sort of api split between loads and finds but it certainly needs refinement. I think an api change like this early on is better than a confusing or overloaded api that eventually drives people away from the framework.