third-level domain

Hi,

I am wondering if there is chance to automatically create third-level domain. For example: new user registration, with rockguru nickname, and I would like to create a third-level domain for this user: rockguru.mydomain.com.

Anyone knows how to do it? Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

Petr

Hi,

I am wondering if there is chance to automatically create third-level domain. For example: new user registration, with rockguru nickname,
and I would like to create a third-level domain for this user: rockguru.mydomain.com.

This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can
create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production
server.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Frederick Cheung wrote:

> This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can > create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production

that should of course say wildcards

> server.

> Fred

Thank you, for your replay. So, it means that, there is no way how to do it using RoR?

That is by far and above the easiest way in my opinion. I'm sure you could write code to fiddle with dns entries (assuming you control the nameserver) but it really wouldn't be worth the hassle (and everytime you added new domains you'd have to wait for them to propagate).

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering if there is chance to automatically create third-level domain. For example: new user registration, with rockguru nickname,
and I would like to create a third-level domain for this user: rockguru.mydomain.com.

This is more a question for your network/sysadminy person, but you can
create dns wildcars, ie *.mydomain.com all pointing at your production
server.

There is a railscast episode showing how this can be done with subdomain_fu.

HTH

Matt