Thin Controller Fat Model (and calculations)

I'm trying to elegantly add some functionality to my app. It's a language school that has an enquiry form. the functionality I am trying to build is pricing. Basically I'd like to calculate a price for a student and store it in the enquiry. Prices come in two flavours, Course Price (course price per week * duration), Accommodation Price (accom price per week * duration). There are one off booking fees for both.

So, how do I do all this maths in my Model (I read everywhere that the model is the place to do it) and keep my controller clean.

Here's the story so far.

Parameters passed when the form is submitted...

Parameters: {"commit"=>"Create", "enquiry"=>{"address1"=>"g", "country_living_in"=>"Germany", "date_of_birth(2i)"=>"1", "accomodation_duration"=>"4", "address2"=>"jkg", "date_of_birth(3i)"=>"1", "title"=>"Miss", "address3"=>"g", "postcode"=>"gj", "course_duration"=>"2", "body"=>"sdfds", "english_level"=>"Advanced", "accomodation_id"=>"1", "address4"=>"gj", "country"=>"Germany", "firstname"=>"sdf", "requested_start_date(1i)"=>"2009", "mobile"=>"gjk", "requested_start_date(2i)"=>"2", "phone"=>"jk", "requested_start_date(3i)"=>"3", "surname"=>"sdfdsfbjk", "course_id"=>"2", "email"=>"gjk@dsf.com", "nationality"=>"Germany", "date_of_birth(1i)"=>"1950"}, "action"=>"create", "controller"=>"welcome"}

My Enquiry Fields (the final price should eventually make it into total_fee).

?> Enquiry.column_names => ["id", "created_at", "updated_at", "title", "firstname", "surname", "responded", "body", "photo", "phone", "mobile", "email", "address1", "address2", "address3", "address4", "postcode", "country", "requested_start_date", "date_of_birth", "nationality", "country_living_in", "english_level", "accomodation_id", "accomodation_duration", "course_id", "course_duration", "course_booking_fee", "course_fee", "accommodation_booking_fee", "accommodation_fee", "total_fee"]

I think I need something like this, am I on the right lines?

My Proposed Enquiry model

I think that this callback way is a good one. But it's better to make the validations first, no? You can use some callback that do the things after validations. For example before_save or before_create.

Here for more: ActiveRecord::Callbacks - APIdock