the "store locator problem".

I'm not sure what Rails elements come into play here, so I'm just calling this the "store locator problem". Bear with me...

Assume I have a database-backed Store model. And that it has a "locator" method that returns a list of NEW store objects -- NOT YET SAVED IN THE DB -- that are near a given zip code. (Why? Because the stores are found via an external service and we don't want to clog our db with records we're never going to use.)

class Store < ActiveModel::Base

# Return a (possibly empty) list of instantiated but not yet saved Store objects   def self.locate(zip_code)     ...   end

end

I'm trying to figure out how best to implement the following interaction:

1. user visits a page. the page contains a form prompting for a zip code.

2. user enters zip code and presses "find stores" button

3. STILL ON THE SAME PAGE, the user is presented with a list of matching stores with a "choose this one" button (or link) next to each one.

4. when the user clicks on "choose this one", that store is saved to the DB (and a bunch of other stuff happens)

5. the user is redirected to /stores/nnn, where NNN is the id of the newly created store.

There's two catches

* I want to implement this first version using NO javascript. (I'll write unobtrusive JS later...)

* I want all the above steps to be rendered in a partial (e.g. app/views/stores/_locator.html.erb), so I can reuse it in more than one place in my system.

I have just about everything working: the stores/_locator partial calls stores_locator_path => StoresController#locate(zip) => Store.locate(zip). Then StoresController calls render(:partial => stores/_found_stores) to display the list of stores in place.

My one problem: the StoresController#locate method needs to know where the request came from, so it knows what page to render (see step 3 above).

Is there a clean way to do this? (I can imagine passing something in the params list, but that seems messy.) Or is there a better approach overall?

Thanks.

- ff

Update: After mulling this over for a few hours, I have concluded that I'm asking two distinct questions:

Q1: If I have a page that contains a partial that contains a form that invokes an action in MyController, how do I return the results to the original page?

A1a: I could (somehow) arrange to have the form emit the controller/method combo that would get me back to the original page, and, after MyController has done its thing, call render('controller/method') to get back to it.

A1b: I could use redirect_to env["HTTP_REFERRER"], but unlike render(...), that's a separate transaction, so I'll need to store my temporary Store objects somewhere. See Q2.

Q2: Where can I squirrel away unsaved Store records across transactions (e.g. if I use redirect_to as per A1b above)?

A2a: Use the session hash. (This feels really wrong)

A2b: Stop fighting Rails and save the Store records. Create a StoreLocator model, make it responsible for creating Store records and pruning the ones we don't use. Or something like that.

Any better suggestions?

If you could use a tiny bit of JS in the form...

1. The new action: Render a form with the zip code and an empty list of stores.

2. The create action: Form submits the zip code, but no store data. Take the zip code, find the stores, and render the new action again, this time with the list of stores. Use a small set of hidden variables to send the selected store data back. Use a small bit of JS to set the hidden variables to the values of the store selected.

3. The creation action: Form submits the zip code and the hidden variables, which now contain the values of the store needed to create the store.

If the list was small, I suppose you could have a bunch of hidden variables, one 'set' for each store. Workable, but a little ugly and perhaps has limits.