Thankful for Ruby 2.6.0

I’m so thankful for the recent release of Ruby 2.6.0, which has allowed me to move on from 2.5.0.

When trying to start a new app on a system with Ruby 2.5.0 and 2.5.3, I’d get messages like “Your Ruby version is 2.5.3, but your Gemfile specified 2.5.0” and “Your Ruby version is 2.5.0, but your Gemfile specified 2.5.3”. I’d check the Gemfile, my Ruby version, the .rbenv-version file, etc. But no matter how correct these configurations were, I couldn’t get things to work. I also had similar problems when trying to upgrade an existing app from Ruby 2.5.0 to 2.5.3.

In contrast, I have no such problems with upgrading to Ruby 2.6.0. I just hope that rest of the Ruby 2.6.x series doesn’t give me the same problems and force me to wait for Ruby 2.7.0.

fyi- If it happens again and your Gemfile looks OK, make sure the utils in bin are referencing the ruby you want to use in the first line of each file (the sha-bang line). And then run 'bin/bundle update'. Also check that what ever method you are using to spawn the app is using the same ruby (e.g. Passenger has a config to explicitly set the path to the ruby you want to use.)

I also am having some fun experimenting with 2.6.0, but I can't seem to get JIT to work (I know it is experimental and not ready yet for rails apps), but the simple examples in tutorials showing big speedups just isn't working. Everything slows down when --jit is used. Oddly it gave permissions errors/warnings about my /tmp directory (which there is nothing special about it), so creating a new directory in my home dir and setting it to use that as tmp seems to get rid of the errors/warnings but still no speedups... oh well, they probably haven't tested on RHEL 7.5 yet or something.

Phil

btw- I believe that the default to use /tmp fails is because it is (here anyway) mounted as NOEXEC. So, the correct action was to create a different directory specifically for ruby to use for JIT compiling. I'm still confused why there's no speedups for me, but I can take that convo to another mailing list. :')

Phil