TextMate vs EMACS vs RadRails

Hi everyone, I’m new to web programming, actually I haven’t even started yet, but I intend to do it with Ruby on Rails.

So my question is, which of the 3, TextMate, EMACS or RadRails, would you choose, and why?

And can I build and run codes on TextMate and EMACS?

This is a holy war that starts up about every other week on this list. You'll find people insisting that their favorite development environment is better than anyone else's. It depends on how you prefer to work.

I personally find it most productive and satisfying using RubyMine. I end up googling a lot less, and I end up writing more accurate code the first time. The debugger is also really convenient. YMMV.

(Over the last couple years, I've also used and abandoned TextMate, RadRails, and Netbeans.)

+1 for RubyMine by the way, it’s on sale until this Sunday for 50% off

Thank you for the tip guys, when I have some time to finally start my web programming i’ll try it out.

Tell me something, can I write HTML code with RubyMine to make a simple web page?

I’m asking that cause that’s the first thing I’m learning, HTML.

Yes, you can.

BTW: RubyMine +1

Rodrigo Ruiz wrote in post #994581:

Thank you for the tip guys, when I have some time to finally start my web programming i'll try it out.

Tell me something, can I write HTML code with RubyMine to make a simple web page? I'm asking that cause that's the first thing I'm learning, HTML.

You can write HTML with ANYTHING that can edit text. Same for Ruby, CSS and JavaScript. Yes, there are tools that help you with navigation around your project, auto-competion, etc. But, none of them are required to develop web sites with Ruby on Rails.

I'm still a TextMate user. I refuse to use any IDE written in Java when given a choice. I pretty much have to use them for my day job, but I have always hated Java applications. Yes, I use them almost every day, but I still despise having to use them, ANY of them.

Thank you for the tip guys, when I have some time to finally start my web programming i’ll try it out.

Tell me something, can I write HTML code with RubyMine to make a simple web page?

Yep. You can do that with any editor so you’re safe. :wink:

B.

Sent from my iPhone

Yep. You can do that with any editor so you’re safe. :wink:

Ah the weekly texteditor war. I know it is not on your list but I have to throw in my 2 cents after spending a couple years on TextMate:

+1 for Vim / MacVim

love emacs =]

Most people (programmers) I know also hate java applications, why is that? (not that I don’t agree, I’d just like to hear your opinion)

Also are all IDEs written in Java?

And with TextMate, for example, how do I make my HTML code show a page so I can see how it is going, so I can test it?

And can I debug with TextMate? I mean, does it show compile time errors?

Also how can I compile and run a simple code, like java for example?

I just typed:

package Classes;

import java.util.*;

public class Main {

/**

* @param args

*/

public static void main(String[] args)

{

System.out.println("Hi");

}

}

In my TextMate and it just doesn’t run, it gives an error:

untitled.java:3: class Main is public, should be declared in a file named Main.java

public class Main { ^ 1 error

Also how can I compile and run a simple code, like java for example?

I just typed:

package Classes;

import java.util.*;

public class Main {

/**

• @param args

*/

public static void main(String args)

{

System.out.println("Hi");

}

}

In my TextMate and it just doesn’t run, it gives an error:

untitled.java:3: class Main is public, should be declared in a file named Main.java

public class Main { ^ 1 error

Rodrigo, please rename your file to Main.java.

Good luck,

-Conrad

Thank, it worked.

But now I’m also trying to get one of my Eclipse projects to textmate and ain’t working.

It says:

Cliente.java:14: cannot find symbol

symbol : class Contrato location: class Classes.Cliente public void adicionarContrato(Contrato c)

^

Cliente.java:16: cannot find symbol

symbol : class ContratoPre location: class Classes.Cliente if (c instanceof ContratoPre)

^

Cliente.java:30: cannot find symbol

symbol : class ContratoPos location: class Classes.Cliente if (c instanceof ContratoPos)

^

3 errors

Problem is that it was working on Eclipse.

What on earth has this to do with Rails?

Lol, nothing I guess, I’m just trying to make my TextMate work to start learning Ruby on rails.

No necesita java para hacer programas con ruby o ruby on rails.

Well, is it only TextMate you want for ide ? I am also new to RoR I am a java and .Net developer. So I needed an IDE to start RoR, my solution has been Netbeans 7 with a plugin from this site http://blog.enebo.com/ , so far this is working very fine for me, and also Netbeans 6.9.1 works, I have update rails on it.And one is able to import eclipse projects into Netbeans.

+1 => RubyMine + MacVim :slight_smile:

vi + command prompt seems to work well for me.