Testing controllers for DB changes?

New to Ruby and to Rails (but not to development or testing). Perhaps I'm going about this wrong, but I'm writing a functional test of my controller. The controller makes changes to the item being operated on and saves those changes to the database. My test code doesn't detect these changes unless I reload from the database, e.g.:

def test_something   foo = foos(:my_test_foo)   post :update, :id => foo.id, :bar => "Some Data"

assert_equal("Some Data",foo.bar) # FAILS   foo = Foo.find(foo.id)   assert_equal("Some Data",foo.bar) # PASSES end

I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but it made me wonder if I'm approaching testing the wrong way. Am I?

Dave

New to Ruby and to Rails (but not to development or testing). Perhaps I'm going about this wrong, but I'm writing a functional test of my controller. The controller makes changes to the item being operated on and saves those changes to the database. My test code doesn't detect these changes unless I reload from the database, e.g.:

That's the way it is. the controller will have been handling a different instance of Foo (that happens to correspond to the same row in the database). The instance in your test is not aware of what has been done to the other instance.

Fred

Fred is correct. A small suggestion to your code. Instead of

foo = Foo.find(foo.id)

simply use foo.reload