Switching servers, banging head

I've switched operating system before, linux to mac, etc. I've had problems, but been able to resolve them in the past.

I'm seeing (after seeing this error in the apache logs w/fcgi)

$ sudo rake bootstrap (in /var/www/rails/pophookDevel) Skipping integrity check. You have no system roles set up; once your database tables are set up, run rake bootstrap to create the basic roles. rake aborted! uninitialized constant Permission

Why do I have to run bootstrap? I've ported over the db and the code from a server that is working. Where is it looking that it thinks I'm installing for the first time?

Things I've checked:

*permissions on tmp,log and public, recursive *gem version in environment *verified the new db is accessible, able to write/read with a new rails dir *dispatch.fcgi is being used *I'm in development mode *engines_debug.log doesn't indicate anything, or any other log file, except the error message above. *I'm using versions rails 1.2.2 ruby 1.8.5 CentOs 4.4 (don't think it matters)

It looks to me like the models aren't getting loaded from the plugin directory, but this is where I fall short.

Arrrggg!

try a --trace with rake - may give you more info.

note, if you're running 1.2 and engines, login_engine user_engine and others won't work

http://rails-engines.org/news/2007/01/23/farewell-login_engine-/

J

Well, that stinks. What are people using for authentication these days? I see Hark is somewhat of a dead horse. acts_as_authenticated?

This is pretty lame. Authentication is a fundamental component, I would even argue it should be part of the core code. I think there should be a stronger commitment to a default authentication module.

I'm going to have to let my panic subside before I can come up with a solution.

Joe

for this reason I've freezed my rails apps at 1.16 that are using
login_engine.

And using Rick's resful_authtentication with new projects.   http://weblog.techno-weenie.net/2006/8/1/restful-authentication-plugin

note: you must be using pre 1.2 previously - so why not freeze to
that for this project (until a workaround can be found)?

Cheers, Jodi General Partner The nNovation Group inc. www.nnovation.ca/blog

Joe said the following on 02/18/2007 02:09 PM:

$ sudo rake bootstrap (in /var/www/rails/pophookDevel) Skipping integrity check. You have no system roles set up; once your database tables are set up, run rake bootstrap to create the basic roles. rake aborted! uninitialized constant Permission

I don't know about the bootstrap, but I do know about that rake error.

If you have a migrate file such as

004_create_pages.rb

but which says

class NewWebs < ActiveRecord::Migration

you will get

uninitialized constant CreatePages

I don't know if this is documented anywhere.

As for the bootstrap ... well, _perhaps_ it would be doing things like creating the tables and initializing them, but is written so that its not smart enough to check. (Perhaps. take a look at the code.) Some plugins don't do this and the README files omit to tell you to do that. I got bitten by both of these this last week.

Beyond this ... Dunno.

Ok, I just upgraded our old server to 1.2.2, and it's working fine. It's got to be some environment issue where something isn't getting loaded correctly.

I checked the migration files, no problem there.

I'm probably going to look at Jodi's suggestion, and see how backward compatible it is. We can just shut one server down and create a subdomain to access it in order to test a few things out.

This feels a bit odd to me. It sort of feels like a fundamental instruction code for a microprocessor suddenly disappeared.