Storing some data to a different DB

I'm working on an Business Intelligence application where customers will be adding values about different indicators. For example "Blue cars sold daily", then every day a record is stored representing that indicator.

So there can be many indicators and many many more values for each indicator.

Right now everything is living in the same DB. Since the amount of values can be huge after some time I'm now wondering if the values should be stored in a different DB somehow.

I imagine the auto-increment IDs might someday restart and cause a nasty issue if IDs that are used for the associations of the other objects get overwritten.

Should I be worried about this and move the values storage to a separate space? Any good suggestions?

Thanks.

I'm working on an Business Intelligence application where customers will be adding values about different indicators. For example "Blue cars sold daily", then every day a record is stored representing that indicator.

So there can be many indicators and many many more values for each indicator.

Right now everything is living in the same DB. Since the amount of values can be huge after some time I'm now wondering if the values should be stored in a different DB somehow.

What do you mean by huge?

I imagine the auto-increment IDs might someday restart and cause a nasty issue if IDs that are used for the associations of the other objects get overwritten.

That depends on what you mean by huge.

Should I be worried about this and move the values storage to a separate space? Any good suggestions?

Again it depends on what you mean by huge.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1086428:

That depends on what you mean by huge.

Huge to me is the number that will give me problems, and that is the biggest number to which a DB can auto-increment before restarting the IDs (or just failing)

Maybe I should start from the other end and find out that number for typical DBs. Right now I'm on a Heroku Postgresql. I found some nice discussion about this limit for SQL:

But I mixed one thing. Of course the auto-increment ID is independent for each table. An the tables that will grow "hugely" (hopefully) are not the center of an association, I select records from those 2 tables using some fields and none of them is really the ID that the DB asigns automatically.

I think I can relax for a while.

Thanks for your reply Colin.