Starter DB's (general web app question) Where to get them?

Hey,

I was wondering where people scrape information for the beginning of production db's for particular things.

Like if I wanted to have a website related to cars. Someones isn't actually entering in every vehicle type manually theres got to be a solid method of finding that data somewhere that you can transform into what you need?

Any hint/tricks for this?

I was wondering where people scrape information for the beginning of production db's for particular things.

Like if I wanted to have a website related to cars. Someones isn't actually entering in every vehicle type manually theres got to be a solid method of finding that data somewhere that you can transform into what you need?

Any hint/tricks for this?

Google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=car+make+model+database

Looks like there are a couple of companies that make this information available.

You might also find the government has basic information (census type stuff maybe), but most of the time you're probably going to end up paying someone else for it.

-philip

Indeed, this is market research data and it is an industry unto itself. The less detail you want, the cheaper it will be, and beyond some level of detail you are getting into proprietary models which typically require money, licensing, equity, or all three.

-eric

-eric