Spreadsheet Excel - How to Span Columns

Good afternoon,

I'm creating an Excel file and need to span multiple columns. How can I do this?

Example: I want the Excel sheet to look like this

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 A | two columns wide | Hi

Thanks, Joe

I think you may have sent this to the wrong list, this is for Ruby on Rails issues.

(If I remember correctly you mark the cells and right click and there is an option for spanning there).

Colin

I think you may have sent this to the wrong list, this is for Ruby on Rails issues.

(If I remember correctly you mark the cells and right click and there is an option for spanning there).

Colin

Sorry, I meant to add that I'm doing this programmatically with the Spreadsheet gem. I'm trying to get it to generate a spreadsheet with some cells spanning multiple columns.

Thanks for the reply, though, and sorry for not being clear :slight_smile:

If you are running on Windows when creating your Excel file, the following code will do what you're looking for.

require 'win32ole'

excel = WIN32OLE.connect('Excel.Application') rescue excel = WIN32OLE.new('Excel.Application')

book = excel.workbooks.add sheet = book.worksheets(1)

sheet.Cells(1, 1).value = "text to go into merged cells" sheet.Range("A1:C1").Merge excel.visible = true

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the spreadsheet gem. When generating excel spreadsheets, I use the win32ole gem.

Hope this helps... Bob