Small file upload

Hi folks

Searching the list, I notice this problem was introduced a while back but there was no reply. Anyhow, I'm now finding myself up against it:

I'm trying to upload zip files and unzip them into a directory using rails. It works fine with larger files; here's the data at the breakpoint:

irb(#<UploadController:0x2262a84>):001:0> params => {"commit"=>"Upload", "action"=>"save_file", "controller"=>"upload", "site"=>{"name"=>"dh", "zip_file"=>#<File:/tmp/CGI805.1>}}

However, with a smaller file (not just with zip files, actually) i get the following:

irb(#<UploadController:0x24ad6a4>):001:0> params => {"commit"=>"Upload", "action"=>"save_file", "controller"=>"upload", "site"=>{"name"=>"smalltest01", "zip_file"=>#<StringIO:0x24e0ce8>}}

and the path returns nil.

Does anybody have any insight into this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

cheers dafydd

Hi~

Hi folks

Searching the list, I notice this problem was introduced a while back but there was no reply. Anyhow, I'm now finding myself up against it:

I'm trying to upload zip files and unzip them into a directory using rails. It works fine with larger files; here's the data at the breakpoint:

irb(#<UploadController:0x2262a84>):001:0> params => {"commit"=>"Upload", "action"=>"save_file", "controller"=>"upload", "site"=>{"name"=>"dh", "zip_file"=>#<File:/tmp/CGI805.1>}}

However, with a smaller file (not just with zip files, actually) i get the following:

irb(#<UploadController:0x24ad6a4>):001:0> params => {"commit"=>"Upload", "action"=>"save_file", "controller"=>"upload", "site"=>{"name"=>"smalltest01", "zip_file"=>#<StringIO:0x24e0ce8>}}

and the path returns nil.

Does anybody have any insight into this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

cheers dafydd

Thats the way rails works. If an uploaded file is less then 10Kb then it will be put in a StringIO, if it is over 10k it will get put in a tmpfile. You will have to branch with conditionals on this to support what you want. If its a StringIO then you need to read it into mem and write it out to wherever you want it. If its a tmpfile then you can just call path on it and move it somewhere.

if StringIO === params[:zip_file]     data = params[:zip_file].read     File.open('some/path', 'wb'){|f| f.write data } else    # its a tmpfile end

Cheers- -- Ezra Zygmuntowicz-- Lead Rails Evangelist -- ez@engineyard.com -- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting -- (866) 518-YARD (9273)

Yow!

Thanks, Ezra.

You Rails folks are exceptionally patient and helpful with newbies.

cheers dafydd

dafydd wrote:

You Rails folks are exceptionally patient and helpful with newbies.

Because Rails is too.

:wink: