should be simple -- will_paginate ordered by acts_as_rated

It seems like this should be very simple and very common.

I'm using "acts_as_rated" plugin to rate images I'm using mislav-will_paginate gem to paginate a list of images (not really relevant, but also using paperclip to attach the photo to the "image" model

I figured I could do something like this: @images = Image.paginate(:page => params[:page], :per_page => 10, :order => 'rating_avg')

rating_avg is the name of the average rating in acts as rated

I get this error: Mysql::Error: Unknown column 'rating_avg' in 'order clause': SELECT * FROM `images` ORDER BY rating_avg LIMIT 0, 10

I'm using the: :with_stats_table => true option

What's the right way to do this rather obvious action of sorting the output of a rated model and paginating with will_paginate?

thanks, jp

It seems like this should be very simple and very common.

I'm using "acts_as_rated" plugin to rate images I'm using mislav-will_paginate gem to paginate a list of images (not really relevant, but also using paperclip to attach the photo to the "image" model

I figured I could do something like this: @images = Image.paginate(:page => params[:page], :per_page => 10, :order => 'rating_avg')

I'm not familiar with acts_as_rated, however: where is the rating_avg column ? if it is on some separate table then you'll need to join on that table.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

I'm not familiar with acts_as_rated, however: where is the rating_avg column ? if it is on some separate table then you'll need to join on that table.

Fred

A little help with this? I never did any stand-alone sql and don't know an inner from an outer join.

If the class that we apply acts_as_rated to ("images" in my case) winds up with a has_one :rating_statistic

and the rating_statistics model belongs_to :image

and "rating_avg" is a member of the statistics table...

What would the join look like to :order by :rating_avg ?

thanks, jp

If the class that we apply acts_as_rated to ("images" in my case) winds up with a has_one :rating_statistic

and the rating_statistics model belongs_to :image

and "rating_avg" is a member of the statistics table...

What would the join look like to :order by :rating_avg ?

Well unless you care particularly about what the join looks like you can just add :joins => rating_statistic to your find. Do take the time to familiarize yourself with this sort of stuff though or it will bite you on the ass eventually.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Well unless you care particularly about what the join looks like you can just add :joins => rating_statistic to your find. Do take the time to familiarize yourself with this sort of stuff though or it will bite you on the ass eventually.

Fred

Thanks Fred. No joy.

This works fine but doesn't order anything (obviously): @images = Image.paginate(:page => params[:page], :per_page => 10)

This @images = Image.paginate(:page => params[:page], :per_page => 10, :order => 'rating_avg') gives me this error: Mysql::Error: Unknown column 'rating_avg' in 'order clause': SELECT * FROM `images` ORDER BY rating_avg LIMIT 0, 10

And your suggestion (slightly modified by me [single quotes added to rating_statistics] gives this @images = Image.paginate(:page => params[:page], :per_page => 10, :joins => 'rating_statistics', :order => 'rating_avg') Mysql::Error: Unknown table 'images': SELECT `images`.* FROM `images` rating_statistics ORDER BY rating_avg LIMIT 0, 10

thanks, jp

it needs to be a symbol (otherwise it assumes you have constructed the join statement already).

Fred