Sharing Gems and Ruby Interpreter among application servers

Hi there,

I have several Rails Applications on different servers which all use the same gems and the same ruby interpreter version, installed on each of the machines. They are all in the same data warehouse, meaning they are all connected in one network via Gbit-Connection.

I was wondering if it would make sense to outsource the gems/ruby interpreter to another machine within the network, where all application servers would have access to via mounting a directory on that new server. It would make it much easier to update gems only on one machine for all applications then.

Did anyone try that or has a suggestion or experience with shared libraries among servers in a network? Maybe its performancewise a disaster or there are other arguments against this idea.

Greets -act

Did anyone try that or has a suggestion or experience with shared libraries among servers in a network? Maybe its performancewise a disaster or there are other arguments against this idea.

Probably not a problem performance-wise, just kind of pain to configure :slight_smile: I think there is a way to "freeze all gems" to your ruby distro--that might be worth it. =r