SEO, MS Word, Compact HTML, and object/data

We have twenty-or-so MS Word 2000 documents that we want to display on our website.

What we did was convert the MS Word documents to Compact HTML. We then display a document via an   <object data="/doc/somedoc.htm" height='100%' id='xyz' width='100%'>

This all works great except for a bit of a fly in the ointment.

Doing an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) analysis shows that a least one analyzer does not analyze the contents of "/doc/somedoc.htm".

I guess it is reasonable not to count the contents of the document pointed to because it might not even be owned by the displaying page.

- - - -

But these MS Word 2000 are _ours_. So does anyone know of a way to automatically convert the htm file produced so that I can render it rather than refer to the document via object/data?

We have twenty-or-so MS Word 2000 documents that we want to display on our website.

What we did was convert the MS Word documents to Compact HTML. We then display a document via an <object data="/doc/somedoc.htm" height='100%' id='xyz' width='100%'>

This all works great except for a bit of a fly in the ointment.

Doing an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) analysis shows that a least one analyzer does not analyze the contents of "/doc/somedoc.htm".

I guess it is reasonable not to count the contents of the document pointed to because it might not even be owned by the displaying page.

- - - -

But these MS Word 2000 are _ours_. So does anyone know of a way to automatically convert the htm file produced so that I can render it rather than refer to the document via object/data?

If these documents are all alike in internal structure, you could write a little script using Nokogiri to capture only the id="whatever" node containing the page content, and then write that back out as a sort of partial. OR suck it into an ActiveRecord object and persist it in your database.

require 'rubygems' require 'nokogiri' require 'fileutils'

fp = '/path/to/your/file' #if your starting document is well-formed doc = Nokogiri::XML(File.read(fp)) #otherwise #doc = Nokogiri::HTML(File.read(fp)) div = doc.at_css('#someDiv') output = div.to_xhtml

Walter