select in fields_for not selecting

I have a user who has a location that location contains a country_id. Location has a polymorphic interface locatable.

What works: The user can edit their name, country and city. This all saves to the DB on the update put.

The problem: Returning to the edit page shows the textfield's name and city populated but the country select form element defaults to blank. The value for user.location.country_id is saved in the DB but the form element refuses to show this as "selected". I have attempted explicityly setting the selected :option but still, it fails to show country.

MODEL

user   has_one :location, :as => :locatable, :dependent => :destroy

location   belongs_to :country   belongs_to :locatable, :polymorphic => true

country   has_many :locations

VIEW <% form_for @user, :html => { :multipart => true } do |form| %>

<div class="text_field">     <%= form.label :name %>     <%= form.text_field :name %>   </div>

<% fields_for "user[location_attributes]",@user.location do

location_fields| %>

<div class="select_field">     <%= location_fields.label :country_id %>     <%= location_fields.select :country_id, Country.find(:all).map { |c| [c.name.titleize, c.id] }, { :include_blank => true } %>   </div>   <div class="text_field">    <%= location_fields.label :city %>    <%= location_fields.text_field :city %>   </div> <%- end -%>

<%= form.submit 'Update' %> <% end %>

CONTROLLER

def edit     @user = User.find(params[:id])   end

def update     @user = User.find(params[:id])     @user.attributes = params[:user]     @user.save!     flash[:notice] = "Your profile has been updated."     redirect_to url_after_update

rescue ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid     render :action => "edit"   end

You may want to consider adding attr_accessible for the editable fields in your model.

/dkm

Thanks for your reply DKM,

I have location_attributes listed in the users attr_accessable list and use attr_protected for the :locatable_id and :locatable_type in location.

Just to check that there are no attribute access issues i commented out attr_accessible and attr_protected's in the user and location models. It still did not set the select.

I believe it's soemthing to do with the select name generated from the fields_for. <select name="user[location_attributes][country_id]" id="user_location_attributes_country_id"> . .

but im not sure what.