Seeking resources to help do external image preview (scraping) like FB and subsequent full-size image capture

Hi,

Non-technical founder doing some research to try and help point my developer in the right direction.

Seeking resources or guidance to help generate an image preview from a link, similar to the one used in Facebook's UI, and then subsequently also allow a user to display / grab the full size image of the preview as well. Not looking to necessarily create a bookmarklet a la svpply.com or the like, but interested in figuring out a way whereby a user can enter a link, select the image they want on the page they've linked to, and then have that image added to a post or submission to a web page.

Any help, guidance, or anything would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Non-technical founder doing some research to try and help point my developer in the right direction.

Seeking resources or guidance to help generate an image preview from a link, similar to the one used in Facebook's UI, and then subsequently also allow a user to display / grab the full size image of the preview as well. Not looking to necessarily create a bookmarklet a la svpply.com or the like, but interested in figuring out a way whereby a user can enter a link, select the image they want on the page they've linked to, and then have that image added to a post or submission to a web page.

Any help, guidance, or anything would be greatly appreciated!!

http://www.pageglimpse.com/

Maybe... I did a project using alexa thumbnail service, but looks like that got shut down. One article pointed to the above as a replacement. I've never used it though...

Non-technical founder doing some research to try and help point my

developer in the right direction.

Seeking resources or guidance to help generate an image preview from a

link, similar to the one used in Facebook’s UI, and then subsequently

also allow a user to display / grab the full size image of the preview

as well. Not looking to necessarily create a bookmarklet a la

svpply.com or the like, but interested in figuring out a way whereby a

user can enter a link, select the image they want on the page they’ve

linked to, and then have that image added to a post or submission to a

web page.

you can do this using a simple ajax process.

submit the link via ajax then in the controller, get the html page through

the HTTP::Net library or use a gem like httparty. Parse the page with

nokogiri and save all the images in an array. Use the array to show the

user the images found on that link.

Hi Jim,

Thanks a ton for your response. Passed the information along...much appreciated. Think right now just trying to wrestle with how to work with different images with different aspect ratios coming from a wide range of sites!

Best,

Emeka