search implimentation for tags

hi,

i am implementing a search box from index page,search box allow s the tag name to be searched and it should display the results on the other page.

if enter a tag name in search box once i press the search button i am getting error like:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in StreamsController#show Couldn't find Stream with ID=search RAILS_ROOT: E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/rails_apps/stdb Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:1267:in `find_one' E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:1250:in `find_from_ids' E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:504:in `find' app/controllers/streams_controller.rb:16:in `show'

corresonding url have like: http://localhost:3000/streams/search?search=352x240

so can any one help me out in this issue.

1)in controller added search method like:

####added for search option   def search     search_criteria = Article.find_tagged_with(params[:search])      if search_criteria.empty?        flash[:notice] = "Please enter search criteria"        @searchresults = ""      else        @searchresults = Streams.find (:all, :conditions=>search_critera)      end        respond_to do |format|        format.html # show.html.erb        format.xml { render :xml => @stream }      end   end

Hi, I think you have several issues...

srikanth wrote:

hi,

i am implementing a search box from index page,search box allow s the tag name to be searched and it should display the results on the other page.

if enter a tag name in search box once i press the search button i am getting error like:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound in StreamsController#show Couldn't find Stream with ID=search RAILS_ROOT: E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/rails_apps/stdb Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:1267:in `find_one' E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:1250:in `find_from_ids' E:/srikanth/InstantRails-2.0-win/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/base.rb:504:in `find' app/controllers/streams_controller.rb:16:in `show'

This appears to be a 'show' action - not 'search'. I'd say that your GET-request for /streams/search?search=... is being mapped to your 'show' action - see last comment below.

corresonding url have like: http://localhost:3000/streams/search?search=352x240

so can any one help me out in this issue.

1)in controller added search method like:

####added for search option   def search     search_criteria = Article.find_tagged_with(params[:search])      if search_criteria.empty?        flash[:notice] = "Please enter search criteria"        @searchresults = ""      else        @searchresults = Streams.find (:all, :conditions=>search_critera)

Even though the error was in 'show', there look to be some errors here in 'search'.

I think Article.find_tagged_with will return an array of Article models. You haven't mentioned your Article model - you seem to have a Stream model (which you should use in the singular not plural). So maybe you mean Stream. You then use this for the :conditions clause in Streams.find(...) which is probably not going to work because :conditions corresponds to a WHERE-clause in sql. Check the docs for the 'find' method (api.rubyonrails.org).

end        respond_to do |format|        format.html # show.html.erb        format.xml { render :xml => @stream }      end   end ################

2)and in view/streams/index.html.erb file

<% form_tag(search_streams_path(), :method => :get) do %> <%= label(:search, :tag, "Search:") %><br /> <input name="search" id="tag" type="text" size="17" value='<%= session[:search_keys] %>' style="width:123px;" /> <input type="image" id="bt_zoek" src="/images/search.jpg" alt="search" style="border:none;"/> <% end %>

3)in routes.rb added line;

map.resources :streams, :collection => {:search=>:get}

Just a guess: but did you add ':collection' to "map.resources :streams" after setting up this resource? If you did and you didn't reload the routing table (restart you app), then the search action won't take effect and your show action might be used instead which might be why you get the error in 'show' with id being mapped to 'search'.

HTH

Hi Daniel,

actually i have Stream model and in the controller i added like:

def search

search_criteria = Stream.find_tagged_with(params[:search])      if search_criteria.empty?        flash[:notice] = "Please enter search criteria"        @searchresults = ""      else        @searchresults = Streams.find (:all, :conditions=>search_critera)

2)but did you add ':collection' "map.resources :streams" after setting up this resource? i am not clear this qustion. just adde the map.resources :streams, :collection => {:search=>:get} in route.rb

3) hw can i write an action to display the search result instead of show action?

thanks