Scaling database. The easiest one!?

Guys, you're turning this into a DB flamewar and I'm sure that's what this thread was ment to.

The thread title asks for the easiest DB for scaling. I agree that PostGIS rocks, and I don't agree that MySQL sucks. I like PostgreSQL very much over MySQL, I think the logos for each product speak for themselves (a dolphin vs an elephant) and I also like PostgreSQL because of its "opensourceness" overall. But that's all, it's a matter of tastes and/or experiences with one or the other. This is not a flame war. Let's help the guy here, after all, that's what a mailing list should be useful for.

Cheers.

That's like saying you don't drive red cars very much so it's impossible to compare red cars and blue cars.

Yes, you found an obscure setting

Obscure? It's right there in the documentation! Jesus Christ man, it's not like I went digging on some mailing list from 1997 to find it.

I mean really, does this page/url look obscure?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-sql-mode.html

The version from 5+ years ago is even still available:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/server-sql-mode.html

that I was unaware of. I'm sure there are more. I don't know 100% of either system's config parameters, and I don't claim to. But I do know both systems well enough to have used both for advanced development.

That's fine. But don't start bashing MySQL thinking you know something about it when clearly you don't.

Greg Donald wrote:

The only leap I'm seeing here is a database bigot claiming MySQL doesn't do something when it has had the capability for more than 5 years. PostgreSQL is a fine database (I've been using it forever too) but loving it doesn't doesn't give you the right to spread lies about MySQL.

Greg Donald wrote:

That's fine. �But don't start bashing MySQL thinking you know something about it when clearly you don't.

that's something of a leap. Just because someone doesn't know about a particular feature of MySQL does not negate them knowing "something about it."

The only leap I'm seeing here is a database bigot claiming MySQL doesn't do something when it has had the capability for more than 5 years.

You're dragging in an irrelevant issue from a whole different discussion that forms a minor -- or rather, negligible -- part of my dislike of mySQL. And for the record, I'm not a database bigot. I love mySQL's friendliness and ease of setup, but I think it has severe shortcomings. If those shortcomings were fixed, or if I turn out to be wrong about the ones that affect me, I would be *very* happy to never touch Postgres again.

PostgreSQL is a fine database (I've been using it forever too) but loving it doesn't doesn't give you the right to spread lies about MySQL.

Of course it doesn't. Which is why I don't do that.

-- Greg Donald http://destiney.com/

Best,

You know what the saddest part of this little flame war? It's not even on topic. The OP asked about scalability and you're all in a pissing contest over GIS support and default settings and how they affect date conversions.

Seriously, you'd think someone insulted their mother based on the accusations flying around. Grow up.

Aaron Turner wrote:

Diego,

Have a look at a version of MySql, Percona: Open Source Database Software & Tools by Percona

It is an improved version of MySql and they have an improvement of InnoDB, XtraDB. I would just use a dedicated server for your DB, quad- core with a lot of RAM, that's all. In the future you can add more MySql server in read mode... there are few ways to run MySql in a cluster.

Check out this book for MySql performance, clusters and more: http://amzn.com/0596101716

- Im using OLAP, dont have alot of data today, but its growing, and is very intensive query, everyone say that postgresql is better on complex queries.

Generalizations like these do not make any sense because of lots and lots of variables involved: data set structure, size, query type, schema design, indexes, db engine in MySQL case, RAM, hardware, etc. Everything should bet tuned for particular task and only in that context we can talk about speed. Saying "X is slow and Y is fast" means nothing without context. And even in the case query Q is faster on dataset D on database X does not mean that database Y cannot be tuned to perform faster than that.

<…>

Another question, about full text search, its better stick with the one inside de database or something external like Sphinx!? Im worring about speed and easy of use.

My vote goes for Sphinx. MySQL full text search limits you to MyISAM tables and is only suitable if you need very basic search features and you dataset is not very big.

PostgreSQL seems to have more advanced implementation but I doubt it can beat Sphinx in terms of features and speed.

Regards, Rimantas

Another question, about full text search, its better stick with the one inside de database or something external like Sphinx!? Im worring about speed and easy of use.

My vote goes for Sphinx. MySQL full text search limits you to MyISAM tables and is only suitable if you need very basic search features and you dataset is not very big.

PostgreSQL seems to have more advanced implementation but I doubt it can beat Sphinx in terms of features and speed.

Agreed. tsearch2 is good, but being able to split off your search onto other hardware and not hit the database is also nice...

Sphinx along with the thinking sphinx plugin is awesome.