Scaffolding oddities -- any ideas?

Hi All,

I’ve got a couple of problems and solutions I’ll try unless I get guidance for more Rails-like approaches. Details follow.

Thanks is advance, Richard

I. Problems and possible solutions: The user CRUD works fine except: 1) When user data is supplied and Create is clicked, the “successfully created” message appears, but no navigation buttons are presented. Of course: a) browser navigation is available b) coding for that view could be amended, e.g. by copying code from the vendor view, which includes the navigation

2) When the Email dropdown field is populated for a new user who is then created, subsequent user forms have the Email field quasi- populated, i.e. it has a reddish-orange background and a dim rendering of the value selected for the previously entered user. If that field is not cleared and the new user is created: a) the previous user’s email address is carried forward to the new user (that behavior may be desirable for some fields but not for other, in which case the generated code could be ameliorated, I suppose.) b) worse, if that email address is not modified, the email control is presented on subsequent pages in its reddish-orange glory. c) coding for that view could be ameliorated by initializing the email control to nil upon entry to that view

II. Relevant code: Generated three scaffolds ruby script/generate scaffold user username:string first_name:string last_name:string email:string encrypted_password:string salt:string

ruby script/generate scaffold vendor nickname:string qbname:string

ruby script/generate controller Home That led to four app\controllers: application_controller.rb home_controller.rb users_controller.rb vendors_controller.rb: config\ routes.rb file: ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|   map.root :controller => "home", :action => "index"   map.resources :vendors   map.resources :users

map.root :controller => "vendors"   map.root :controller => "users"   map.resources :users   map.resources :vendors

map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format' end NOTE: I can’t remember whether or what changes I made to the generated routing

III. Computer environment: Rails 2.3.5 Ruby 1.8.6 WinXP-Pro/SP3 Firefox 3.6 MySQL 5.0.37-community-nt Mongrel

I got it straightened out. Thanks anyway in case you looked at my now- solved problems.