scaffold usage

is there anyway that scaffold would read the database and I don't have to specify any of the columns? it is really frustraiting specially when you've got a lotta cols and tables! I'd like to use rails for an enterprise app but not a toy app like all those apps in tutorials

Enterprise apps don't usually use scaffolds.

Scaffolds will give you forms and indexes for all columns in the database. This is a bit of overhead since you are going to have to delete plenty of code one you use your scaffolds since ALL columns will be listed in the index and ALL columns will be editable in the forms. i have never seen a project that desires such functionality. Thats why i agree with Greg.

ps: What is the difference between enterprise rails apps and tutorial toys, apart from the number of columns...??

Luis, I use the scaffold for ALL projects and don't have a problem with the fields as I use DBDesigner to create my schemas before I go into production. This free tool allows me to copy all fields in a table to my clipboard. Then in the Netbeans 6.1 scaffold call I simply paste the fields in and then decide the types ( ex: :integer, :string: ). Hope this helps. Kathleen