Running tests

Hi, In a controler, how can we check that we are running a test (rake test). Is there a connection object?

Hi, In a controler, how can we check that we are running a test (rake
test). Is there a connection object?

Check the value of RAILS_ENV

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

I can't help but ask... why?

Curious, Robby

Robby Russell wrote:

Hi, In a controler, how can we check that we are running a test (rake test). Is there a connection object?

I can't help but ask... why?

Curious, Robby

-- Robby Russell Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC design // development // hosting

http://www.planetargon.com/ http://www.robbyonrails.com/ aim: planetargon

Hi,

I am studying Noel Rappin's "Professional Ruby on Rails" excellent book. I met the problem of update user.is_active attribute p 83. In users_controller :

def activate     find_user     @is_valid = Token.is_valid_for_user(@user, param[:token])     @user.update_attributes(:is_active=>@is_valid)   end

Everything was fine except that user.is_active was staying desperatly false! After replacing update_attributes by update_attributes! I found the reason why. The user record was not valid because of the constraint :     validates_length_of :password, :minimum => 6 But the password is not stored in user, we only have encrypted_password. It will not be a problem in production because we will have the password at this moment. But during the test, it's not the case. And then you have 2 solutions : One used by NR which is to comment the constraint to pass the test. I don't like it to much. The other idea was, when in test, to set a password just before update the user record :    if RAILS_ENV = 'test'       @user.password= '123456'    end    @user.update_attributes(:is_active=>@is_valid)

I don't know if I was understandable, but it works as I want.

Robert

Robert Plagnard wrote:

In a controler, how can we check that we are running a test (rake test).

Is there a connection object?

Check the value of RAILS_ENV

Now confess why your code needs to know that. You should either write the code to work no matter what its environment, or you should use a mock.

If you want to use Mocha, use any_instance if you don't know which instance your controller will construct...