Running consecutive DOS commands in Ruby

Hello Everyone,

I have a situation where i have to invoke command line tools like putty_sftp and OpenSSH from ruby script for automation, as out application handles sftp uploads through these tools. So the problem is i can single DOS command in ruby and store the output(using system( ),exec( )), but here were are talking abt multiple DOS commands to achieve the goal. Also i have to pick up values like user id and password from excel file(which i am doing using ruby).I have to know how to pass these value to DOS batch file from ruby.

It would be a boon if i can all the DOS commands in my ruby program one by one, so it's easy to parametrize variables without much. Please help me in this regard.................Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I have a situation where i have to invoke command line tools like putty_sftp and OpenSSH from ruby script for automation, as out application handles sftp uploads through these tools. So the problem is i can single DOS command in ruby and store the output(using system( ),exec( )), but here were are talking abt multiple DOS commands to achieve the goal.

Put the commands in a batch file if you do not want to call them one by one.

Also i have to pick up values like user id and password from excel file(which i am doing using ruby).I have to know how to pass these value to DOS batch file from ruby.

If the question is how to get them out of excel file I cannot help, but to put them in the command just put them in the string you are passing to system.

It would be a boon if i can all the DOS commands in my ruby program one by one, so it's easy to parametrize variables without much.

I am confused, first you say you know how to run them one by one and want to do them several at one go, then you ask how to pass params to a batch file, then you say you want to run them one by one again. Obviously I am missing something.

Colin