[ruby] c#-like syntax and others

If I'm not mistaken I've read once about ruby's flexibility in letting you do something your own way (there is always more than 1 way to do something and ruby lets you choose your own way). And yes, syntax in ruby is flexible. But there is a way to write ruby code in c# style? writing 1.upto( 2 ) { | i |     puts i.to_s } throws error.

you have to write 1.upto( 2 ){ | i | # just one line here     puts i.to_s } to work It seems here isn't your way. it's just ruby way... Or is there way I dont know to write c#-like code: function/instruction begin sign -{- ... block's code ... end sign -}-

For short blocks, I believe it's idiomatic to do:

1.upto(2) { |i| puts i.to_s }

This also works but isn't idiomatic because it puts the '|i|' on its own line:

1.upto(2) {    >i>    puts i.to_s }

For longer blocks, it's idiomatic to use do...end:

1.upto(2) do |i|    puts i.to_s    # more work here...    # and here...    # and so on... end

However, if you don't provide the opening '{' or 'do' on the same line as the 1.upto(2), you'll get an error that no block was given. I verified this in IRB (interactive Ruby) on Mac OS X w/ Ruby 1.8.5 from MacPorts.

Regards, Craig

} } thanks for the reply } } i thought maybe there a way to tell ruby interpreter the new line in } fact is not meant to be taken as a new line and that it's just for code } layout } } 1.upto( 3 )[a sign for 'hey, ruby, it's a dummy new line here'] } { | i | } puts i } } [...]

1.upto( 3 ) \ { | i |   puts i }

--Greg