Routing Error

I have a problem with my routing. When a user performs an illegal checkout action (end time < start time) it should route back to to the 'checkout' action. However, it is instead going to the 'edit' action.

<b>'rake routes' </b>

users GET /users(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"index"}                   POST /users(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"create"}          new_user GET /users/new(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"new"}         edit_user GET /users/:id/edit(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"edit"}              user GET /users/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"show"}                   PUT /users/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"update"}                   DELETE /users/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"destroy"}       new_session GET /session/new(.:format) {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"new"}      edit_session GET /session/edit(.:format) {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"edit"}           session GET /session(.:format) {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"show"}                   PUT /session(.:format) {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"update"}                   DELETE /session(.:format) {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"destroy"}                   POST /session(.:format) {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"create"}              labs GET /labs(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"index"}                   POST /labs(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"create"}           new_lab GET /labs/new(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"new"}          edit_lab GET /labs/:id/edit(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"edit"}               lab GET /labs/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"show"}                   PUT /labs/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"update"}                   DELETE /labs/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"labs", :action=>"destroy"}    lab_categories GET /lab_categories(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"index"}                   POST /lab_categories(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"create"} new_lab_category GET /lab_categories/new(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"new"} edit_lab_category GET /lab_categories/:id/edit(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"edit"}      lab_category GET /lab_categories/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"show"}                   PUT /lab_categories/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"update"}                   DELETE /lab_categories/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"lab_categories", :action=>"destroy"}    checkout_index GET /checkout(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"index"}                   POST /checkout(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"create"}      new_checkout GET /checkout/new(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"new"}     edit_checkout GET /checkout/:id/edit(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"edit"}                   GET /checkout/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"show"}                   PUT /checkout/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"update"}                   DELETE /checkout/:id(.:format) {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"destroy"}             login / {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"new"}            signup /signup {:controller=>"users", :action=>"new"}         myaccount /myaccount {:controller=>"myaccount", :action=>"myaccount"}            logout /logout {:controller=>"sessions", :action=>"destroy"}                          /labs/checkout/:id {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"checkout"}                          /labs/checkout/:id/update {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"update"}          checkout /labs/checkout/:id/edit {:controller=>"checkout", :action=>"update"}              root / {:controller=>"home", :action=>"index"}                          /:controller/:action/:id                          /:controller/:action/:id(.:format)

routes.rb: map.checkout '/labs/checkout/:id', :controller => 'checkout', :action => 'checkout'   map.checkout '/labs/checkout/:id/update', :controller => 'checkout', :action => 'update'   map.checkout '/labs/checkout/:id/edit', :controller => 'checkout', :action => 'update'   map.root :controller => "home"

# default routes   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'   map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format'

<b>CheckoutController update action: </b>

def update                 @lab = Lab.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|                         if @lab.update_attributes(params[:lab])                                 flash[:notice] = 'Lab was successfully updated.'                                 format.html { redirect_to(@lab) }                                 format.xml { head :ok }                         else                                 format.html { render :action => "checkout" }                                 format.xml { render :xml => @lab.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }                         end                 end       end

<b>LabController update </b>

def update     @lab = Lab.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|       if @lab.update_attributes(params[:lab])         flash[:notice] = 'Lab was successfully updated.'         format.html { redirect_to(@lab) }         format.xml { head :ok }       else         format.html { render :action => "edit" }         #format.html { redirect_to :back }         format.xml { render :xml => @lab.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

Let me know if there is something I forgot to include.

Thanks

I think the issue is that you have a general route to the checkout controller and then you have a map.checkout route that is after the map.resources :checkout route. so when you use checkout_path you will get the edit task and not the checkout "route" that you have setup...

Try changing map.checkout to map.checkout-something-else and see if that fixes the issue...

Tyler Knappe wrote:

heimdull wrote:

I think the issue is that you have a general route to the checkout controller and then you have a map.checkout route that is after the map.resources :checkout route. so when you use checkout_path you will get the edit task and not the checkout "route" that you have setup...

Try changing map.checkout to map.checkout-something-else and see if that fixes the issue...

On Jun 17, 2:42�pm, Tyler Knappe <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

You were on the right track. What I had not realized was that map.resources :controller generates the routes that I was seeing. I moved my map.checkout action to the top of the list and it now properly calls the checkout controller's update function!

I was mistaken, I had changed how the Labs update action behaved. I'm still having the same problem and I've changed all the routes around.