routing conditions only affect recognition, not URL generation??

I am hitting a problem where it seems that URL ":conditions=>" correctly affect URL recognition, but don't affect URL generation.

Basically I have two very similar websites which differ slightly in how they are laid out, but have substantially similar code. I want to use a bit of routing magic to use a single codebase for both sites. Note: I use the request_routing plugin to get access to the URL as a condition

eg:

map.with_options( :conditions => { :domain => /(^|\.)blog\./ } ) do

blog>

...     end        map.with_options( :conditions => { :domain => /(^|\.)track\./ } ) do

track>

...     end

What happens is that at the "track" site the URLs work correctly if I type them in manually to the browser, ie they get recognised correctly, but new URLs are all generated in the scheme for the "blog" site (because it comes higher up in routing order - if I reverse the routes then the reverse situation occurs)

How can I get my :conditions to take effect during URL generation as well as recognition. Examining action_controller/routing.rb isn't trivial...

Suggestions please...

Ed W

Ed, I've been asking this same question for the last month and keep getting doors slammed in my face. Mostly, "read the book" type response (of which I've read most of them) and there's no mention of this. I think the secret is keeping all of the HTML 'wording' that the user see and have it read in from the database on all sites. I'm easily reachable if you'd like to discuss this sometime. BraveDave

Have you two read the routing articles on Jamis Bucks’ site? http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/under-the-hood I think you’ll find a good bit of information there that’d help out. Specifically the routing_tricks plugin that Jamis developped. I use it on one of my apps and it’s a godsend.

RSL