Route.rb problems - help

I am trying to create an application thats allows searching on an item number. There are multiple items in the DB with the same number (different vendors).

My index page has a simple form that just accepts an item number in a form as: <% form_tag(all_item_search_path) do %>

When I try to load this page, I get: all_item_search_url failed to generate from {:method=>:get, :action=>"search", :controller=>"public"} - you may have ambiguous routes, or you may need to supply additional parameters for this route. content_url has the following required parameters: ["search", :item_number] - are they all satisfied?

My route.rb contains: map.all_item_search "/search/:item_number", :controller => "public", :action => "search", :method => :get

and rake routes gives me the following: all_item_search /search/:item_number {:method=>:get, :action=>"search", :controller=>"public"}

I can enter a url in the browser as such: http://localhost:3000/search/1234 I get the results of the search back.

Also, would it be better to use /search?item=1234 # item numbers are alphanumeric and can have special characters

The last part of the question is how will an xml request be specified. I know they are specified as /items.1.xml in a normal case.

Thank you Don French

Any help on this please!

Hi Don,

I am trying to create an application thats allows searching on an item number. There are multiple items in the DB with the same number (different vendors).

My index page has a simple form that just accepts an item number in a form as: <% form_tag(all_item_search_path) do %>

When I try to load this page, I get: all_item_search_url failed to generate from {:method=>:get, :action=>"search", :controller=>"public"} - you may have ambiguous routes, or you may need to supply additional parameters for this route. content_url has the following required parameters: ["search", :item_number] - are they all satisfied?

As the error suggests, you need an item_number parameter:

form_tag all_item_search_path(item_number) do     ...   end

My route.rb contains: map.all_item_search "/search/:item_number", :controller => "public", :action => "search", :method => :get

and rake routes gives me the following: all_item_search /search/:item_number {:method=>:get, :action=>"search", :controller=>"public"}

I can enter a url in the browser as such: http://localhost:3000/search/1234 I get the results of the search back.

Also, would it be better to use /search?item=1234 # item numbers are alphanumeric and can have special characters

Remove :item_number from the route:

map.all_item_search "/search",     :controller => "public", :action => "search", :method => :get

And now:

form_tag all_item_search_path(:item_number => item_number) do     ...   end

The last part of the question is how will an xml request be specified. I know they are specified as /items.1.xml in a normal case.

Add a formatted route:

map.formatted_all_item_search "/items.:format",     :controller => "public", :action => "search", :method => :get

form_tag formatted_all_item_search_path('xml', :item_number => item_number) do     ...   end

Having said all this, I'm wondering if a more RESTful architecture would be a better way to go--when you do things RESTfully, you get all this stuff for free. It sounds like you have a few resources like searches and items, but as I lack the bigger picture, that's as far as I can really go here.

Hope this helps anyway.

Regards, George.