RoR to Visual Studio

Hi I'm a new programmer and not familiar with Ruby on Rails. My first project is to convert a software written in RoR into a .net framework. Is it possible to convert/migrate the software into Visual Studio like Visual Basic? Please help.

Scott L. wrote in post #1057597:

Hi I'm a new programmer and not familiar with Ruby on Rails. My first project is to convert a software written in RoR into a .net framework. Is it possible to convert/migrate the software into Visual Studio like Visual Basic? Please help.

Extremely doubtful. There may be some small parts that can be reused, with some tweaking, like bits of HTML, CSS and possibly some JavaScript. Other than that you're probably looking at a complete rewrite.

Scott L. wrote in post #1057597:

Extremely doubtful. There may be some small parts that can be reused, with some tweaking, like bits of HTML, CSS and possibly some JavaScript. Other than that you're probably looking at a complete rewrite.

More to the point, if you're looking at Ruby code for the first time, and that's the only documentation of the system that exists, you're going to need at least a journeyman's-level understanding of Ruby in order to decipher what the code is supposed to do, so you can then rewrite it from scratch in VB.

Walter

That's what I thought. I know it'll be a challenge specially to a young programmer like me. Any suggestion on how will it work on IronRuby?

I haven't seen many positive comments about IronRuby and Rails.

Most of the Google results were circa 2008-2009 This Wiki post last mentions an incomplete Rails implementation in 2008 and nothing else

Good luck

Greg Akins http://twitter.com/akinsgre