RoR + oracle + bind vars

Hi, I have a question about bundle: RoR + oracle + bind variables. Heaving read forums/blogs/etc I found out RoR does not use bind vars for oracle particularly (and for all adapters in general). Then I found Michael's patch (http://dev.rubyonrails.org/attachment/ticket/5199/oracle_bind.patch) but it was not added to the following RoR versions (since the end of May). As I suppose it was not added because of it was an attempt to find a solution only for oracle adapter (not for all). Next my step I made an attempt to use this patch (for RoR 1.1.16; text from it was added manually), but update clause was failed. #1 Does anybody know: are any developments on including bind vars to RoR (especially oracle)? #2 Please, advise me how to resolve the problem of use oracle bind vars in RoR? Your replies will be very much appreciated! Thanks.

As nobody has answers to my questions I had to patch oracle_adapter.rb: @@ -567,6 +567,7 @@        conn = OCI8.new username, password, database        conn.exec %q{alter session set nls_date_format = 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'}        conn.exec %q{alter session set nls_timestamp_format = 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'} rescue nil + conn.exec %q{alter session set cursor_sharing = 'FORCE'} rescue nil        conn.autocommit = true        conn      end :frowning:

Vladimir Kurnavenkov wrote:

Perhaps create an oracle_activerecord gem to house additional AR functionality for Oracle ppl? Then we can go to town on making Oracle ActiveRecords extra sexy.

Nic

As nobody has answers to my questions I had to patch oracle_adapter.rb:

Apologies, I hadn't seen your question being asked.

The bind variables patch I had posted a while back was a bad ugly hack that I asked not be applied. I have a much cleaner approach in progress that I expect to submit sometime soonish.

In the meantime, setting cursor sharing to "similar" or "forced" is your best bet.

Dr Nic wrote:

Perhaps create an oracle_activerecord gem to house additional AR functionality for Oracle ppl? Then we can go to town on making Oracle ActiveRecords extra sexy.

I'd prefer we don't splinter it.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Michael A. Schoen wrote: