RoR not responding via command line

Hey all,

Now here's the problem, it is probably something simple but this problem is preventing my productivity.

I have installed RoR on my xp machine, and it is now installed, however, any ruby on rails commands are not recognized by cmd. every time i even try to create a new rails program, or attempt to create a ruby script object, cmd returns the error, 'rails' or 'ruby is not a recognized command.

am I missing something out?

I installed the latest version of ruby installed rubygems installed rails gem installed sqlite3 gem updated everything

I can create a rails project if I locate to C:\Ruby\bin and the type rails 'project name', but that is as far as it goes.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Sounds like you need to add C:\Ruby\bin to your PATH environment variable.

Michael Libby wrote:

I'm on Vista these days, I think the process was similar on XP.

Right click on "(My) Computer", choose "Properties"

In Properties, look for "Advanced System Settings". Then look for "Environment Variables". Under "System Variables" select "Path" and click "Edit..." button.

The Path environment variable is a semicolon separated list of places to look for executables, add something like ";C:\Ruby\bin" at the end of the variable.

Click OK a bunch of times. Open a *new* command prompt. Try "ruby -v" and "rails -v" to see if Ruby and Rails are working.