RJS happening too fast?

I'm working on adding tagging to my application, to add tags to a mailing list of fans.

I've got checkboxes to select each fan, and a dropdown select list with the current tags and a "New tag" option. If you choose "New tag", a Javascript prompt asks you to name the new tag, and then it calls the method which adds the tags to the list of fans.

So far so good, but the last thing I want it to do is refresh the list of fans with the new tags applied. Right now it's refreshing the list of fans, except it's the previous list of fans without the new tags. If I manually reload the page, the tags are clearly there, but my guess is the inline RJS is happening too fast, so that it's refreshing the fans_list DIV before the new tags have been applied? I'm not sure.

Here's the function called from my form_observer:

FansController#new_tag

def new_tag     if params[:tag] == "New tag"       render :update do |page|         session[:fans] = params[:fans]         unless params[:fans].empty?           page.call("x_add_tag")           @fans = Fan.paginate :all, :per_page => 25, :page => params[:p], :order => "created_at DESC"           page.replace_html 'fans_list', :partial => 'fans_list', :locals => {:fans => @fans, :what => "FUNK YEAH"}         end       end     else       render nil, :layout => false     end   end

What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Jeff

Jeff Coleman wrote:

page.call("x_add_tag")

Are you creating the new fan here? If so, isn't this going to get executed in the browser? So you are sending back javascript to:

1. add the tag 2. update the select list

Doesn't this mean the new tag is only added after another trip to the browser but the new fan list is evaluated in the method? Or have I interpreted this all wrong?

Mark Bush wrote:

Are you creating the new fan here? If so, isn't this going to get

Creating the new tag I mean...

Jeff Coleman wrote: > page.call("x_add_tag")

Are you creating the new fan here?

Here's the JavaScript, which is in my view:

<%= javascript_tag %Q{   function x_add_tag()   {     var tag = prompt('Name for new tag', '');     if (tag == null) return;     #{remote_function :url => tag_fans_path(:fans => @fans_to_tag), :with => "'tag=' + tag" }   }

} %>

And here's the "tag" action in fans_controller.rb:

def tag     fans = params[:fans]     fans ||= session[:fans]     for f in fans       fan = Fan.find(f[1])       tag ||= params[:tag]       tag = params[:fan][:tag] if params[:fan]       fan.tag_list.add(tag)       fan.save     end     redirect_to fans_path   end

Okay, that sounds right! I'll work on that.