Right way to do many-to-many relationships (long post)

I'm struggling with some older Rails code. It's buggy and I don't find a way to get it better. The project is centered around the assignment of projects to students at a university. I have a class Researchgroup: class ResearchGroup < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :people   has_many :projects end

(I don't completely agree with the last association, but that's a different problem.)

The person class:

class Person < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :research_group   has_many :connections, :dependent => :delete_all end

The connection class: class Connection < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :person   belongs_to :project end

The connection table has a field kind that denotes the association of that person to a project. Is that a right way to handle this association? It seems pretty hard to do this properly in Rails...

Now the project_controller has the following complicated new method:

def create      @project = Project.new(params[:project]) // create a project with the research group set to to the first promotor, which comes from the form as an AJAX-enabled comma-separated field, if you have group permissions       if authenticate_as_group and (params[:connection][:promotors] != '')         @project.research_group_id = Person.find_by_name((params[:connection][:promotors]).split(/,\s*/ [0]).research_group_id       else // set promotor to your group         @project.research_group_id = Person.find_by_login(session[:login]).research_group_id       end // the previous part gives problems if the first promotor is not in the DB...       if @project.save         if !(params[:connection][:promotors] == '')           for promotor in (params[:connection][:promotors]).split(/,\s*/)             person = Person.find_by_name(promotor)             if !(person == nil)               if authenticate_as_group or (authenticate_as_normal and (person.research_group_id == Person.find_by_login(session[:login]).research_group_id))                 begin                   connection = Connection.new(:project_id => @project.id, :person_id => person.id, :kind => 'p')                   connection.save                 rescue                 end               end             end           end         end         if !(params[:connection][:copromotors] == '')           for copromotor in (params[:connection][:copromotors]).split(/ \s*/)             person = Person.find_by_name(copromotor)             if !(person == nil)               if authenticate_as_group or (authenticate_as_normal and (person.research_group_id == Person.find_by_login(session[:login]).research_group_id))                 begin                   connection = Connection.new(:project_id => @project.id, :person_id => person.id, :kind => 'c')                   connection.save                 rescue                 end               end             end           end         end         if !(params[:connection][:supervisors] == '')           for supervisor in (params[:connection][:supervisors]).split(/ \s*/)             person = Person.find_by_name(supervisor)             if !(person == nil)               if authenticate_as_group or (authenticate_as_normal and (person.research_group_id == Person.find_by_login(session[:login]).research_group_id))                 begin                   connection = Connection.new(:project_id => @project.id, :person_id => person.id, :kind => 's')                   connection.save                 rescue                 end               end             end           end         end         if !(params[:external_connection][:promotors] == '')           connection = ExternalConnection.new(:project_id => @project.id, :people => params[:external_connection][:promotors], :kind => 'p')           connection.save         end         if !(params[:external_connection][:copromotors] == '')           connection = ExternalConnection.new(:project_id => @project.id, :people => params[:external_connection][:copromotors], :kind => 'c')           connection.save         end         if !(params[:external_connection][:supervisors] == '')           connection = ExternalConnection.new(:project_id => @project.id, :people => params[:external_connection][:supervisors], :kind => 's')           connection.save         end         flash[:color] = 'green'         flash[:notice] = 'Project created succesfully.'         redirect_to :action => 'show', :id => @project       else         render :action => 'new'       end     end

I don't like this code at all. Any suggestions to handle the specific problems (proper validation of the promotor line, cleaner associations) or to improve this code are more than welcome. If you need more information on this problem do not hesitate to ask for it, I'm really keen on properly deploying a Rails app. Currently I feel this thing would give Rails a bad image here...

Bart