REXML::Formatters - where do they come from?

This is driving me nuts - the Ruby docs mention REXML::Formatters::Default, REXML::Formatters::Transitive, and REXML::Formatters::Pretty. Documentation all over the web talks about using these to format REXML::Documents. But *nothing* I can find anywhere mentions where this Formatters package is supposed to come from, and I've looked at 6 different machines with recent Ruby installations (from 1.8.3 to 1.8.6), several of which aren't mine, and not a single one of them has this package.

I give up. How on earth are you supposed to get these? Where do they come from, and why don't I (or anyone I directly know) have them?

Thanks, Bill

I have /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml. I compiled my Ruby from source. I can only assume that's how I got it.

But do you have /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/formatters?

Yes.

# ls -lavh /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/rexml/formatters total 24K drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Nov 7 11:09 . drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4.0K Nov 7 11:09 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.8K Jul 29 21:26 default.rb -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.4K Jul 29 21:26 pretty.rb -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.8K Jul 29 21:26 transitive.rb

I just checked another machine where I compiled Ruby from source and it's all there too.

Interesting. I guess, then, the answer is likely to re-install Ruby by compiling from source.

I can't for the life of me imagine why other options leave this out. I installed Ruby via ports on my Mac. I'm not sure how the Linux and Solaris boxes had it installed. One of the hosts I checked that doesn't have them is a Joyent host. Bizarre.

Thanks, guys.

Okay, I've re-installed Ruby by compiling from source. I still don't have rexml/formatters. Before trying that, I tried "port install rb- rexml" since I'd installed Ruby from ports (I'm on OS X, Leopard); that didn't make rexml/formatters appear, either.

What the heck is going on? What's the secret handshake to get rexml/ formatters installed? Anyone?

-Bill

I have a Fedora production server, as well as my local machine. Both do not have rexml/formatters either.

Very frustrating, -j.

Oh, my local machine is Mac OS X Tiger, compiled Ruby from source...

Mac OS X --> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.9.1] Fedora --> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-linux]