RESTful question

I have a restful app which is laid out in true restful fashion. But I need a way to dump all the info since the purpose of this app is to generate a config file. Do I create a new model and have the index of that do the dump? I don't want to just iterate through the individual records with Show bc I do need to run som logic over the sum of data.

So do I just scaffold something called dump and have index of /dump output the config file?

Sounds to me like you want a new controller with a create action to generate the config file. That would be restful approach.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com softiesonrails.com

Oooh… I’m gonna throw my own spin on this and say tha it should not be a create… but instead a retrieve. While it’s true you might be “creating” a new dump, you actually want to “GET” the configuration from the system. Just like when you request a resource that might be XML,. you don’t “create a new dump of the objects in xml” , you request them as xml, and you call @foos.to_xml, where Rails creates the XML on the fly and renders it.

So…

routes.rb

map.resource :configuration

configurations_controller.rb…

class ConfigurationsController < ApplicationController

def show @some_model = SomeModel.build_configuration

# some rendering to the view, or send_file, or send_data or whatever

end

end

That, to me, seems the appropriate method. UNLESS you really are letting people create a configuration that you want to persist somewhere for later retrieval, then the create action might be appropriate. But it sounds to me like you really are doing a RETRIEVAL, so that sounds like GET /configuration

That's another good way to look at it.

Jeff