render :update problem with IE 9

Hi,

I have a legacy web site based on ruby on rails 3.0.9 which works just fine with Firefox, chrome and IE 8, but I receive an HTTP 406 error every time when I check the web site with Internet Explorer 9. I narrowed down the problem to the respond_to + format.js + render :update trio, but I did not manage to solve the problem until now.

I created a small example for reproduction:

The action from the controller:

def change if params[:kind] respond_to do |format| format.js do render :update do |page|

# originally we have a much more complicated logic here
        # ...
        page.replace_html 'list_of_numbers', :partial => params[:kind]
        # we even have this:
        # page << "changePrefix();"

end
    end
  end
end

end

The view:

<%= link_to(“odd”, url_for(:controller => “main”, :action => “change”, :kind => “odd”), :remote => true) %>

<%= link_to(“even”, url_for(:controller => “main”, :action => “change”, :kind => “even”), :remote => true) %>

<%= render :partial => "odd" %>

On the server side I see this:

Started GET “/change?kind=odd” for 10.0.8.9 at Wed Jan 04 11:10:59 +0100 2012 Processing by MainController#change as HTML Parameters: {“kind”=>“odd”} Completed 406 Not Acceptable in 0ms

And the IE 9 says quite the same.

Any ideas why this doesn’t work with IE9?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Zsolt

Hi,

It turned out that the 1.7_rc2 version of prototype.js, which is delivered with rails 3.0.9, had some issues with render :update. After using the latest stable version of prototype.js (1.7.0) the problem disappeared.

Cheers, Zsolt