Relay Access Denied

Hi,

I have several rails applications on a shared hosting. To avoid the server's restriction of sending mails, I use an external SMTP. It works most of times but for some sender emails it gives an error.

Net::SMTPFatalError (554 5.7.1 <sam.s.kong@gmail.com>: Relay access denied

The error happens if sender's domain is gmail.com, yahoo.com or hotmail.com. But it works most other domains.

How do I avoid this error?

The smtp configuration is like the following.

config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :smtp   config.action_mailer.smtp_settings = {     :tls => true,     :address => "smtpdomain.com",     :port => 587,     :domain => "www.mydomain.com",     :user_name => "my_user_name",     :password => "my_pasword",     :authentication => :plain   }

Thanks.

Sam

Hi,

I have several rails applications on a shared hosting. To avoid the server's restriction of sending mails, I use an external SMTP. It works most of times but for some sender emails it gives an error.

Net::SMTPFatalError (554 5.7.1 <sam.s.k...@gmail.com>: Relay access denied

The error happens if sender's domain is gmail.com, yahoo.com or hotmail.com. But it works most other domains.

How do I avoid this error?

Well the first to do is probably to ask the provider of your smtp server what rules they have in place. Even if that's not issue, the fact that your sending email claiming to be from something@gmail.com but not from an smtp server that's on gmail's SPF list makes it far more likely that your messages will be classed as spam

Fred