refactoring ActionView

I've been thinking and I've heard many other people voice the same concerns that Charlie Savage blogged about.

If we could get a decent patch put together in the next couple weeks, is it too late for a major change like that for 2.0?

Brandon

Making Rails Better – ActionView Needs a Makeover | CFIS actionview-needs-a-makeover

I've been thinking and I've heard many other people voice the same concerns that Charlie Savage blogged about.

If we could get a decent patch put together in the next couple weeks, is it too late for a major change like that for 2.0?

Sadly yes, we're already pretty far down the path of a 2.0 RC however once we've branched for 2.0, there's no reason this couldn't start getting worked on in trunk.

I don't think there's *anyone* who likes the current implementation of action view.

Making Rails Better – ActionView Needs a Makeover | CFIS actionview-needs-a-makeover

I've been thinking and I've heard many other people voice the same
concerns that Charlie Savage blogged about.

If we could get a decent patch put together in the next couple weeks,
is it too late for a major change like that for 2.0?

Sounds great. Yes, it's too late for 2.0, but if it's just a refactoring (no API changes), then it could make 2.1. Otherwise, it can be scheduled for 3.0. Rails 2.x is not going to be the last, ever release of the framework ;).

Sounds great.

I'm up for trying to tackle it if anyone wants to pitch in.

Yes, it's too late for 2.0, but if it's just a refactoring (no API changes), then it could make 2.1.

Otherwise, it can be scheduled for 3.0. Rails 2.x is not going to be the last, ever release of the framework ;).

Whew…that's a relief. :wink:

Brandon

OMG! Did you hear? I just saw a post from DHH that says:

"Rails 2.x is...going to be the last ever release of the framework"!!

Yes partly because after 2.0 it will be rebranded as Pete's Swanky Framework, will support continuations and bake cakes.

Did you make any progress? Just wondering because I was going give it a try.

Not really. I've spent some time poking through the code and working through some higher level ideas, but nothing significant yet.

You going to be at RubyConf? Maybe we could get some people together and hack it up.

Brandon