read SVG file child elements

Hello Guys I'm new in Ruby and now I'm trying to type my first app now i have SVG file contain rows such as

<text x="10" y="20"       style="font-family: Helvetica;              font-size : 24;              fill : #ff0000;              stroke : #000000;">First label</text>     <text x="85" y="150"       style="font-family: Helvetica;              font-size : 24;              fill : #ff0000;              stroke : #000000;">Second label</text>

now when i want to get the labels form the file i was used non professional way to get them buy using this code

f=File.open(@svgFile) @data=Nokogiri::XML(f) @data=@data.to_s # convert to string @data=@data.split('<text')[1..-1] # convert to array and remove first element f.close

<% @data.each do |data|%> <% @data=data.gsub(%r{</?[^>]+?>},'') %> <% @data=data.split('>')[1][0..-7]%> <%= @data %><br> <% end%>

so now if i want to get the full data to every element such as name= First label stroke =#000000 font-size=24

how i can get the child data in the svg file with professional code i don't like the way to remove html tags to get the data ???

Hello Guys I'm new in Ruby and now I'm trying to type my first app now i have SVG file contain rows such as

<text x="10" y="20"      style="font-family: Helvetica;             font-size : 24;             fill : #ff0000;             stroke : #000000;">First label</text>    <text x="85" y="150"      style="font-family: Helvetica;             font-size : 24;             fill : #ff0000;             stroke : #000000;">Second label</text>

now when i want to get the labels form the file i was used non professional way to get them buy using this code

f=File.open(@svgFile) @data=Nokogiri::XML(f) @data=@data.to_s # convert to string @data=@data.split('<text')[1..-1] # convert to array and remove first element f.close

<% @data.each do |data|%> <% @data=data.gsub(%r{</?[^>]+?>},'') %> <% @data=data.split('>')[1][0..-7]%> <%= @data %><br> <% end%>

so now if i want to get the full data to every element such as name= First label stroke =#000000 font-size=24

how i can get the child data in the svg file with professional code i don't like the way to remove html tags to get the data ???

You're starting out on the right track, using Nokogiri. You don't need to use string manipulation, though, because SVG is just XML inside, so you can interrogate the actual data structure in Noko using either xpath or css syntax. Have a quick read through the Nokogiri documentation at http://nokogiri.org or google the topic.

Walter

Dear Walter

I know that my old way not the true way

now I can open my svg file using the Nokogiri Slop by using this code

@test = Nokogiri::Slop(File.open("./file.svg")) <% @test.xpath('//text').map do |i|%> <%=i%><br> <% end %>

now I can get the all text records now when i'm trying to get the (stroke) to every record it always gives me error

I'm using this command <%=i.("[@stroke]").text.content %>

so how i can get the font-family,font-size,fill ,stroke to every record ???

Dear Walter

I know that my old way not the true way

now I can open my svg file using the Nokogiri Slop by using this code

@test = Nokogiri::Slop(File.open("./file.svg")) <% @test.xpath('//text').map do |i|%> <%=i%><br> <% end %>

now I can get the all text records now when i'm trying to get the (stroke) to every record it always gives me error

I'm using this command <%=i.("[@stroke]").text.content %>

so how i can get the font-family,font-size,fill ,stroke to every record ???

Attributes are not the same thing as child tags. To access them, assuming you have a reference to a node like this:

@test.xpath('//text').each do | text_node |   puts text_node['font-family']   puts text_node['stroke']   ... end

You can get any attribute of the tag using the square-brackets notation.

Walter