Rails with macports or brew

Been having some trouble with brew and getting all things to work. I had a working environment with macports. But when updating to Rails 3 I decided to try homebrew. Will brew Imagemagick install all dependencies? E g I think I miss Freetype and I can't find that as brew.

Btw, what's your experience with brew vs macports?

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #968090:

Been having some trouble with brew and getting all things to work. I had a working environment with macports. But when updating to Rails 3 I decided to try homebrew. Will brew Imagemagick install all dependencies? E g I think I miss Freetype and I can't find that as brew.

I much prefer Homebrew, though I had to play around a little with the provided .profile commands to get Brewbygems to work properly. Homebrew uses /usr/local properly, whereas Macports installs a lot of redundant crap that duplicates what's already there.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #968101:

I much prefer Homebrew, though I had to play around a little with the provided .profile commands to get Brewbygems to work properly. Homebrew uses /usr/local properly, whereas Macports installs a lot of redundant crap that duplicates what's already there.

What about Freetype? Is there a brew for that? And other dependencies that's necessary for ImageMagick/RMagick.

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #968159:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #968101:

What about Freetype? Is there a brew for that? And other dependencies that's necessary for ImageMagick/RMagick.

I have no idea. I don't use ImageMagick or Freetype. Why don't you check the Homebrew website and Git repository?

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #968163:

I have no idea. I don't use ImageMagick or Freetype. Why don't you check the Homebrew website and Git repository?

I did. Why do you think I ask here for?

Listen Marnen, if you don't have answers or helpful suggestions for people using this forum I suggest that you don't say anything. Just a friendly hint. :slight_smile:

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #968176:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #968163:

I did.

I can't read your mind. If you looked and didn't find the answer, it would have been helpful to say so -- I wouldn't have responded in the same way, and we would have wasted less time.

In general, you will get better help if you say what you already tried.

Why do you think I ask here for?

Because you didn't know the answer.

Listen Marnen, if you don't have answers or helpful suggestions for people using this forum I suggest that you don't say anything.

I don't say anything under those circumstances.

Just a friendly hint. :slight_smile:

Best,

I don't see Freetype in the current release of Homebrew, but I did find a fork where someone has created a formula for it.

I really love the way Homebrew works compared to macport. I am most definitely NOT a fan of macports. The tradeoff is that Homebrew is still fairly new and doesn't yet support everything that is available in macports. However, there seems to be a fairly active community around Homebrew that is filling in the gaps.

For example:

Robert Walker wrote in post #968307:

I don't see Freetype in the current release of Homebrew, but I did find a fork where someone has created a formula for it.

I installed it from source. :slight_smile:

I really love the way Homebrew works compared to macport. I am most definitely NOT a fan of macports. The tradeoff is that Homebrew is still fairly new and doesn't yet support everything that is available in macports. However, there seems to be a fairly active community around Homebrew that is filling in the gaps.

I also like it. Had a thought of going back to ports but decided to stay with brew and if I miss something I'll install it myself.

The big argument for using homebrew is that while they may not have every little thing, what they do have is usually very very recent. Compare and contrast with ports, which will often be quite a few versions old, and in some cases that may mean the difference between a feature "just working" and failing catastrophically.

Walter

Walter Davis wrote in post #968316:

The big argument for using homebrew is that while they may not have every little thing, what they do have is usually very very recent. Compare and contrast with ports, which will often be quite a few versions old, and in some cases that may mean the difference between a feature "just working" and failing catastrophically.

Also with over 1400 forks of Hombrew if your favorite package isn't included in the official Homebrew it's worth searching the fork tree to see if someone has already created the formula you're looking for.

Just be sure to read the formula and check the source of the package to make sure something isn't playing nasty tricks on you. So be safe if you decide to use another fork by reading the code yourself, as is good practice with anything you're installing from open source.

Walter Davis wrote in post #968316: